What to do with the monster called UBS

I don’t consider myself knowledgeable about how banks work and my understanding is that no bank is proofed against a bank run, as a result of fractional reserve banking (the bank holds less liquid assets than it has deposits that can be requested at the same time).

My understanding, though, is that a run on UBS would be a liquidity issue more than a solvency issue: the bank holds enough assets to cover its liabilities, but it can’t sell them quickly enough without affecting their value too much that they would be able to cover all their liabilities at once if depositors demand their money back all at the same time. If I own a house but have only 5 francs in my bank account (and no other assets) and a collector comes knocking on my door demanding for me to pay them CHF 100 in less than an hour, I can’t pay them, even though my house would be worth more than CHF 100 and I would be able to sell it for an adequate price in a reasonable amount of time.

In such an event, my understanding is that central banks may loan to banks against some of their assets, the SNB would express support to UBS, annoucing it will cover its liquidity needs, then the bank would get that liquidity by pledging assets to secure that debt. The SNB being in no need to quickly sell these assets (think of it as the SNB having a year to sell my house vs me having just an hour), it can consider their estimated value as accurately securing the debt of the bank and provide the required liquidity. In my house example, a bank would extend me a mortgage and I would be able to pay my CHF 100 bill without having to sell the house to my neighbor for CHF 100.

I don’t have knowledge of the specific mechanics of these, especially not in Switzerland (most of the articles/discussions online involve the US system). I don’t expect such an event to crash our currency or our economy though it would put pressure on them since the whole system requires trust to work, and trust is maybe the one specific asset that most gets lost or lessened in a bank run.

Edit: as to the mechanics of money and credit printing, I like Ray Dalio’s video: How The Economic Machine Works by Ray Dalio - YouTube

3 Likes

thank you very much for your explanation :slight_smile: It’s a lot more usefull than an answer with just " you don’t understand, go read something" without telling you what is that “something”…

I thought that US dollars is always worth less and less because the FED keep printing money but maybe I’m wrong… Gonna check that video !

Alright, wall of text:

This is not an accurate depiction of our economic and monetary system but it is my attempt at vulgarisation, given my own understanding of it, as an outsider to the relevant fields. It is very surface level, we can dive deeper in every aspects of it, but this is how I manage to keep a higher view of how things work and what global blind spots to expect in my investing theses. I welcome any correction or complement:

The answer is “it’s complicated” and it is possible even experts on the system do not truly know, or that the ones who know won’t share (because they have ways to benefit from it). I have yet to see a comprehensive explanation of why inflation was low from 2008 onward, as central banks were increasing their balance sheets and low to negative interest rates poured credit into the system, but inflation manifested all of a sudden now, instead. I have inklings and ideas but many experts, including the FED, seem to have been surprised by the current inflation even though it could be explained in retrospect. The system is complex.

I would say there are two markets: an international currencies market, which defines for how much of another currency a specific currency can trade and a domestic currency market, where the currency actually gets traded for goods. The US dollar, being traded globally on a large scale is somewhat of an exception in this framing.

The global market defines the strength of the currency. The swiss franc is a strong currency because people, including foreigners and institutions, want to hold it, and its supply is limited. Currencies often don’t trade or are stored in the shape of hard currency, though. Government issued bonds, for example, are a way to get exposure to a certain currency without buying actual coins/storing them on a bank account.

That means that as long as the rest of the world perceives our government as being responsible with its debt, the swiss franc should hold a resilient status of a reserve currency and that has a stabilizing effect on its value in regards to other currencies.

To note, too, is that the whole system is relative and not absolute: if other currencies perform worse than the swiss franc, the value of the swiss franc against those currencies will strengthen without the need for the swiss economy to perform better or for its supply to change.

The domestic market is where the supply and demand of goods and local currency will mostly show as inflation. Two parameters must be considered: the supply of money and the speed at which it circulates. If I trade mostly with the local shops in my village, and that we have CHF 10K circulating among us all but that it gets spent again as soon as someone uses part of them, those 10K can actually allow us to conduct all of our trades and it would support much more activity than if 9K out of those 10K were instead stored in my cellar and only 1K was circulating.

Money creation doesn’t necessarily impact the circulating money supply: if the money stays on balance sheets and doesn’t get spent, it won’t be circulating and won’t have a big impact on the economy.

Which leads to the complications: money, and value, can be stored. Central banks have the power to create and destroy money. Banks have a limited, but quite big, ability to create and destroy credit. Bonds are a type of credit: it is an obligation by a certain party to provide a certain amount of money/credit to the bearer of the bond. If I hold a debt obligation by the ZKB for CHF 1K and everybody acknowledges that the ZKB is going to make good on that obligation, then I can use that debt obligation much in the same way I could use actual money: people/businesses would accept that obligation at its value of 1K, or for a small discount accounting for the lesser liquidity it has, and that would actually increase the amount of “currency” (as of “means of exchange”) circulating. For all practical purposes, and as far as I understand, for you and me, credit has the same effect than money on the economy.

Where it becomes more complex is that the whole system is interconnected, and it involves trust. If the full faith and credit of the swiss government is still intact, but that people expect the ZKB to maybe not be able to make good on its issued debt, money, actual CHFs, would normally not be affected but credit issued by the ZKB would. The global supply of “means of exchange” would be affected even though the actual amount of CHF circulating would not.

Money and credit can be stored, not all of it circulates. Central banks buy, sell and store foreign currencies in order to affect the exchange rate of their own currency, in an effort to support their own economy, institutions buy and store money and credit for various purposes and very wealthy individuals might not have all of the value of their wealth circulating at once. If you give CHF 1M to a billionaire, chances are the effects on “means of exchange” supply and inflation would be very minor, if any. If you give that same CHF 1M to a thousand people living below the poverty theshold, chances are that 1M would quickly find its way into circulating means of exchanges. It’s more complex than that because money can be recaptured (money has a way to find its way from the pockets of the people who spend it to those of those who have wealth already and are more likely to store it).

On top of that, the domestic and foreign market are connected. If the price of a table in the US, in USD, is significantly cheaper than the price at which I could get that same table paying in USD but in Switzerland, I might be willing to try and get that US table to me instead of the one available in Switzerland. My operation would have an effect on the US domestic market (the table would be bought on their market) but would result from a relative weakness of the USD on the international markets. The value of a dollar on the domestic market (inflation) is also connected to the strength of the dollar on the international markets. Those operations bear costs, so prices are never 100% aligned but, globally, on a very high perspective purpose, the actual price of a table, for me, shouldn’t depend on which currency I buy it in. If it is, that is a market inefficiency (they exist, but not on a scale easy to exploit by you and me) and if it is significant enough, there are institutions/people who have enough of an incentive to profit from it. That’s arbitrage: they would make it so that the price of the table in CHF, and the price of the same table bought in USD first exchanged from CHF would align and they pocket the difference.

What all that means is that money creation/destruction is but one small part of the inflation/strength of the currency on the international markets puzzle. At the core of the system is trust and it has a lot of inertia: if people are used for 1 CHF to be worth a certain amount of things (including a foreign currency), the simple fact that they are used to it would help anchor that price/value.

One of the main effects of a bank run, or of a high wave of inflation, is to put that trust into question. Prices aren’t anchored anymore and bigger changes can happen, the value of currencies can realign, up to then dominant economies can be toppled by rising and more dynamic ones. That’s why central banks react that strongly when trust seems to be at stake: if they can cut the deanchoring process short, their work is done. That will work for as long as people trust the specific central bank, currency and government faith and credit. Switzerland enjoys a very high amount of trust in each of these, hence the inertia sustaining the system is very high. There’s a reason for it: our government is maintaining reasonable spending levels, our debt levels are low, our political system is stable, we have a high value added economy and a social framework favourable to wealth creation. It will continue to be so as long as we keep striving to have good work ethics, sustain a culture of discussion and political consensus and provide the world with efficient ideas and products.

Edit: the short answer to the remark of @Mokona I have quoted is then: the USD is currently loosing strength in regards to the CHF in part because people expect it to be worth less in the future.

Trust in the FED’s ability to contain inflation is at its core, which is partly why the USD often strengthens when the FED raises rates and would weaken if it’s perceived they’re not doing enough.

The risk-free interest rate one can get on the USD vs the CHF is another, more mechanical, reason for those expectations (I will get more USD in the future than CHF if I store them in a perceived risk free vehicle, hence that bigger amount of USD I will get in the future should be worth the same as the lesser amount of CHF I will get bearing the same perceived level of risk, hence the USD should loose a related amount of value in regards to the CHF).

5 Likes

Isn’t that what just happened? Last I read CS reserve ratios etc. were all healthy

Playing out that scenario: the Swiss tax payer would assume UBS’ liabilities , right(?) Which I keep reading are 2x annual GDP.

They would also take over the assets. Assuming UBS hasn’t been mismanaged then hopefully assets could be unwound so the bill to the taxpayer not 2x GDP

3 Likes

Yes, this was a run, runs are often irrational. (AFAIK the main issue for CS was business strategy, not solvability, without everyone panicking we could have ended with an orderly shutdown of the bank, e.g. splitting up/selling the various parts of the bank, e.g. Swiss retail from CS was valued at 15B, much more than the market cap).

CS had a fairly negative outlook tho, so while the balance sheet was healthy, people didn’t like the business.

Why does comparing to GDP makes sense? (also from the UBS financial statement from December they had 450B of liabilities, which isn’t 2x Swiss GDP, but I don’t know why that comparison makes sense to begin with, it’s a balance sheet, there’s matching assets + equity

Yes, if there’s no (risk weighted) assets on the other side it’s not a bank :slight_smile: Which is why this scenario doesn’t make sense.

Especially since if there’s no trust anymore, where would the liabilities go? If it’s to stay in CHF, there’s no problem for the SNB to backstop it. More likely if things get so bad that there’s a run on UBS it would end up being a run on CHF, in which case I wish us all a very good luck :smiley:

(Would probably be some fairly dark times for Switzerland if everyone decides that CHF isn’t stable anymore and runs away).

2 Likes

thanks a lot for this very detailed answer ! I do have one more question though : I get that if the money created by the central is not spent, there will be (almost) no problem but, in our case here, if SNB has to print money to save a bank, it’s precisely to spend that money immediatly isn’t it ?

balance sheet money of the UBS is not their money, it’s money of they clients. That means, if those clients want their money back, UBS needs to give it back… what if they lost it (even partielly) ? SNB would have to print something like one half of our GDP (at least) to fill the gap… would not that become a problem when this new money is spent by the clients ? Yeah, I get that they will not spend everything since they’re afraid to not have enough money but still …

Maybe it’s easier to look at the end user deposits, those won’t change (no customer of UBS will get more money than they had before).

It’s unlikely to happen (for various reasons), but maybe if that makes it simpler to understand, imagine that the SNB becomes a retail bank, it simply would absorb UBS (both assets and liability), the UBS customers become SNB customers. You’d agree that there’s not more money circulating in the economy as a result, right?

Yes that would become a problem, which is why banks are (very) heavily regulated to make sure that doesn’t happen (esp. after the GFC). They need to have the matching risk-weighted assets + equity. Nobody is claiming that UBS (or CS) don’t have those.

2 Likes

I kinda get your point. Customers would not get more money but the money that the bank would have lost in that case is still somewhere and that’s + the original deposit of the customers. So in total, there are effictivly more money out in the wild isn’t it ?

The front page of this morning newspaper LeMatin made it clear with this :

Which money would it lose? You’re talking about a massive fraud (similar to a Ponzi scheme), not a bank run.

1 Like

But it did happen at CS

For me the conclusion to stop it happening again is that regulation needs to become a lot more effective. UBS may need to be broken up too

2 Likes

What happened? CS didn’t have missing assets afaik. It wasn’t like SVB (even then was debatable, in the long term SVB had the assets when held to maturity, so it would had been fine if there hadn’t been a run).

CS lost a huge amount of assets on risky investments (Greenshill, Archegos,…). They had to raise equity from Saudi and diluted shareholders and were looking at raising more equity.

That caused a loss in confidence and alongside other factors the eventual the run on the bank.

3 Likes

Yes, there was little trust on their plan to turn the ship around, but that’s more about the bank strategy than the bank itself.

Archegos was in investment banking, and they probably lost quite a bit there, but it wouldn’t impact regular banking, right? If only the investment banking was having trouble, I don’t think it would have been rescued? (they had to plan to sell that part anyway)

Greensil didn’t impact them (except image/reputation), it was client money that was invested there from what I understand.

well, if the bank invest in a ponzi (or any very risked bet like did CS) and loose money, it could very well create a bank run … it’s all about trust in the end.

I think, the root of the problem is that the banks are playing with customers money. While they win it’s all good but when there is a big loss, problems start…

I would say yes, banks “play” with customers’ money, but that is why we get (acknowledgedly tiny nowadays) interest on it. The alterative, if we don’t want the banks to be allowed to play with our money is to rent a safe and put our money in. Those assets are segregated and should come back to us even in case of a bank run and even if the SNB/FINMA can’t broker a deal.

2 Likes

Isn’t this why some people ask for a total separation between investment banks and “business” banks (not sure about the translation here).

2 Likes

They lost a smallish $5.5 billion with just that guy. Even though it possibly impacted only the investment banking unit, it is the same boat (CS).

Seems so. However the reputation damage was serious, especially since the issues with that other guy were known at least since 2018 (then, a fund at GAM was sunk, and GAM was almost sunk as well in the process…).

1 Like

Regarding the GDP discussion: look at the history. Back in 2007 both banks combined had a balance sheet at over 6x GDP. The media is taking everything out of context.

1 Like

yes it is. In fact, the swiss operations of CS were perfectly fine. It’s the US (heavy invest) branch who took the rest down with them… If domestic operations were separated, it would be at lot less problematic for Switzerland.