What Post-Tax/OASI Expense do you aim for in Switzerland?

Rent for a tiny 1-room appartment?

Add 500 to that for a nice appartment and we are right on the mark.

1 Like

Read it as “where your sock is”.

5 Likes

1000chf/m for rent is doable, but you probably have to move away from big cities:

me too :smiley:

2 Likes

Cook more the dinner before and bring it as a lunch in your tupperware…

which might be offset by higher transport cost and quality of life. I would certainly optimize for the latter (it is much cheaper not to need a car for instance)

1 Like

Cannot recommend this more. Meal prep is the way. Cook multiple meals at a time to save on time.
It‘s healthier anyway.

3 Likes

What can I say? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Compared to other forum members that spend about CHF 35 per week (though I wouldn’t be surprised if that‘s 50 or so nowadays), I certainly allow myself to splurge a bit more.

Admittedly, my employer provides CHF 120 credit on a lunch check card each month. That can be easily substituted by cooking at home more often, when I have (more) time. Preparing a vegetarian meal costs less than CHF 5 per serving.

I just rent a newly built apartment (on the free market) for less than CHF 1000 a month and…

…it’s in one of the 20 most populous cities in Switzerland.

Got a bathroom with modern walk-in shower, own washing machine/dryer combo. Dishwasher, underfloor heating, electric windows blinds and large balcony. About 10 minutes to the town centre and main train station (by public transport), 5 minutes to take a relaxing walk in the forest.

PS: the currently commute/transport budget as mentioned above takes me to Zurich as well as Germany (for shopping). Certainly not locked in a small town wih nothing to do.

3 Likes

Which city is that may I ask?

I have my guess and wonder if SF is going to tell.