What is your monthly car leasing cost, car brand and saving rate?

I exactly know this feeling, I love cars - and after 15 years without a car I ordered one, a plug-in hybrid M model - to drive to work (cancelled my monthly bus/train ticket).
I liked the electric piece of it so much that I swiched to a full electric after one year. I drive it for free because my wallbox only charges the car when my solar panels produce overcapacity (obviously taxes, etc I have to pay).
If you can, go for electric - BMW does this quite well… and built quality is better than Tesla 3.

What fully electric BMW which is not an ugly i3 are available right now?

BMW i3, i4, iX3, iX

For now.

I would not buy it new, since you lose 10% just for that if you would sell the car next day.

I would buy Lexus if to choose any car, because of top reliability, comfort and really the lowest price devaluation above all.

I would not lease but buy it cash when I’ll afford it.

Bought a KIA e-niro on https://fr.auto-dealer.ch/
It was in stock, 1 week delivery time.
Swiss price : 52K
Imported from poland : 39K
99% identical.
Full electric, no more gas station and 25chf of taxes per year for license plates.

1 Like

Thank you all for your messages! I really like the iX3. The problem is that I cannot charge it at home, some of my neighbors already asked the landlord to install the EV charges but it was refused… We also travel each year by car (rented) to Poland close to the Ukraine border and ex-Yugoslavia countries and it doesn’t seem easy to find a charger there (I may be wrong, just my perception). I think at this point EV are nice to commute if you can charge it at home, but to travel it could be a nightmare waiting ~1h in the gas station every ~400 km. I really hope that the batteries, charging time and charging places will improve in a few years

I decided not to buy a new BMW and instead a second hand BMW with less than 50kkm and less than 4 years old – time to find it!

8 Likes

Boom, reality check.

If OP had bought 25k VT in Nov 2021, now he would have 22k and a crap car. Not very likely to have the 7% pa in the next 2-3 years either. Let’s say the market will be flat and then picks up back to 7% perpetual appreciation in 2025. He would have 31k in 10 years (vs 50k), and a crap 20 yr old car and a divorced wife. Well, for that he could be buying another crappy car for 25k (inflation :smiley: ) and put 7k into VT to forever appreciate.

One needs to pick wisely when to enjoy life as you never get the time back.

@Goyero 10-4, check in, over :slight_smile:

I’m driving an m135xi that I bought cash as a splurge expense (you can call it mid-life crisis) for the same reason (being a car enthusiast), 3 yrs ago. I’m not a fan of leasing. If I can’t buy it cash, I won’t buy it.

I’m contemplating to swap it for a BMW electric, but the depreciation in the next 4-5 years is killing me mentally. Basically for any new electric car, not just BMWs.

So as an alternative I might go another way and get an M340i instead :supervillain: with the last living BMW inline six until they stop making them…

I agree that everyone should decide for themselves what will give them enjoyment in life.

2 years is not a sufficient time period to count on high returns from stocks (I did not suggest it was).

neither was the first lost decade between 1999 and 2009. there might be similar such decades coming. I think it’s really hard to see the benefit of “staying invested” if in 6-8 years all you gained (sic!) was losses.

The longer the investment period the lower the risk and the higher the probability of having high return from stocks.

The next decade 2009-2019 returned ~400%

You pays your money you takes your chance

you mean 140% :slight_smile: (sorry, just to nitpick!)

Apologies.

I googled S&P500 returns 2009-2019 not VT, and also counted 11 years. In any there were big returns during this period