What is your food budget?

Dinner: rarely (healthier).

Breakfast:

• oatmeal with milk
  • banana, apple, yoghurt, nuts (sometimes a few cereals and/or chocolate)
  • boiled egg, breadroll with butter (sometimes with a spread, topping or slice of ham)
  • brezel and an apple

lunch/dinner (I try to cook myself once a weak):

• herring fillets and potatoes
  • pasta with tomato sauce and some fresh herbs/tomatoes/onions/chili
  • mixed cooked vegetables
  • chopped chicken with vegetables and/or rice (asia style)
  • chicken salad, sometimes with flatbread or fajita style
  • sandwiches with ham, egg and/or vegetables
1 Like

I’m having a bit of a wtf moment here… you don’t eat dinner?
Also, this is healthier?

Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

I also don’t eat “dinner” as such. My main dish is lunch, and I will only have a light breakfast to last me until lunch and then an evening snack such as a sandwich.

I find all of these meal names just that - names :smiley:
Some would call this “dinner” I guess. :slight_smile:

On the whole “healthier without dinner” note - it makes no sense to make such a statement.
Depends what amount and sort of calories you managed to get into yourself by then.
Just a light breakfast (e.g. brezel and an apple) and an average-sized lunch are definitely not enough for someone who is even averagely physically active, let alone if you train intensively 3+ times a week.
But I might be going off topic here now…

1 Like
2 Likes

I usually don‘t eat later (after work) during the day, before I go to sleep. I‘ve read it‘s supposed to be healthier. At least I usually feel better doing so.

Also, I try to maintain a 16/8 day: eating within 8 hours (7am to 3pm, roughly), then sleeping/fasting over the next 16 hours.

The exception is when I go exercising/training in the evening.

I’m doing something similiar. Eating from 12:00-23:00 and fasting from 23:00-12:00.

1 Like

Same here, because I’m also to lazy for eating breakfast :slight_smile:

1 Like

It used to be called “skipping breakfast”, now thanks to the bloggers it has become “intermittent fasting”. Very healthy, very cool!

6 Likes

All of these require you to put some effort into it, but most of them are actually very easy and I find some of them (sprouting beans) even quite fun.

• During the last couple of weeks I’m beginning to think that our grandparents [EDIT: and @oozoo] got something right:
    Classic oatmeal porridge, with cow/soy/almond milk is quite a quick, incredibly cheap, versatile and satiating breakfeast. You can add spices and fruits, so it won’t get boring very quickly. If you use quick-cooking oats, you only need to boil it for 1-2 minutes.
    The most basic version with organic cow milk and some cinammon costs me about 35 cents a day.

• Mung bean are really easy to sprout, incredibly tasty and cost next to nothing.
    There’s this adorable video that can teach you how to sprout them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m74YYPVbWU
    It’s really even easier than what she makes it out to be. If you water them 3 times a day (before work, after work, before sleep) they should grow totally fine.
    500g of mung beans cost you at most 3CHF at your local asian supermarket. This will give you anywhere from 4 to 5 kg of sprouts (or around 30 cents for a generous portion), which would cost you at least 20CHF in a supermarket and be less fresh and tasty.
    They’re especially nice in asian dishes (stir-fry, pad thai) or in a salad.

• Instead of buying a somewhat tasty flammkuchenteig for 3CHF
    Migros
    You can also make an incredibly quick dough yourself, that will be at least as somewhat tasty.

Just use 250g flour, a bit of salt, 1 or 2 tablespoons of any oil of your choosing and add 100ml of water. Mix it with a spoon until it combines, knead it until it becomes smooth (add some more water, if the dough is still crumbly or very hard). Roll it out. Top it and put it into the bottom of your oven at the highest temperature.

This takes me about 4-5 minutes [EDIT: and as @San_Francisco points out, a couple of minutes more to clean up] , almost as long as my oven needs to heat up.
Also works for an extra-crispy express pizza.
This costs about 60 cents and serves at least two people.

3 Likes

No problem if you’re an experienced baker or pizza baker.

Me, I’d make a mess. Not to mention the time it takes to clean everything (dishes and surfaces) up manually. Easily 15 minutes.

I like the video, but how do you manage to water them every 2-3 hours?

I guess watering them every 3 hours would be optimal.
But I find it really enough to do it 3 times a day. As much spaced apart as possible.
Something like:

• water before breakfast
  • water when you come back from work
  • water before going to sleep
1 Like

It’s true that additionally you will have about 2-3 minutes more to clean up compared to store-bought. I should have added that.

But I’m far from being experienced in anything baking related and nail this dough every time.
The cool thing is, this being a rather dry though, there isn’t a lot of mess. You combine everything with a spoon in a medium-large bowl. And kneading it, your hands (or the table top you knead on) won’t get especially dirty.
You also don’t have to knead a lot. This dough really doesn’t need to be 100% homogenous.

I see the reason why one might use store bought dough over this, sometimes I also don’t want to spend the extra minutes.
I still end up using this recipe all the time. Because it’s especially usefull when you don’t have a store bought dough ready. Running to the store to get a dough, when you feel like eating a quick pizza, takes a lot more time than washing up an extra spoon, a bowl, a rolling pin and the table top.

1 Like