What do you think of meal replacements like Soylent/JimmyJoy?

The only potential problem I see with Bertrand after a first look is that it contains quite a lot of sugar (7g per 100g) through agave powder. This is likely due to it being all “natural” ingredients.
Soylent uses Sucralose as the primary sweetener, therefore it only contains 1g simple sugar.

I could imagine that I personally wouldn’t like the feel of the sugar high and low after a main meal. But that’s something you’d have to try out :slight_smile:

I hadn’t paid attention to that, the 7g of sugar might be why it tasted good to me :smiley:

How do you procure Soylent in Switzerland?

Make your own smoothie with all the macros you need per meal, e.g.:
Handful of mixed nuts, frozen forest berries, (half of a) banana, whey protein with water (or milk if you want extra cals).
Quick, fresh, nutritious (proteins, fats, carbs, fibers) and no need for any of those brands.

5 Likes

I still prefer to eat normal whole food instead of baby food.

2 Likes

Maybe add some salt, depending on on how much you sweat and what else you eat during the day.

If you don’t like shakes you can combine those same ingredients (maybe add some oatmeal flakes if you want more carbs) and just let it soak for an hour or so.

IMHO these products are highly processed foods.

It is my feeling, that in the last years more and more studies found out that the negative effects of such highly processed foods are underestimated.

2 Likes

@newhere Thanks for your answer!
Do you have references about this? Like publications or articles?
I would be very interested.

@dbu thanks! But my goal was to use these replacements because I don’t always have the motivation to cook. If I had to create my own, I would still have the same problem.

I dont have up to date studies on my hand - its just my impression. I studied in the same faculty as food science was, I catched up some stuff from these colleagues. Additionally there is at least one SRF Einstein episode regarding sugar, added sugar and highly processed foods.

I am not an expert in this field but I know:

• Food healthiness isnt only described by the nutrition facts. In nutrition 1+1 isnt always 2.

• As example sugar: added sugar is much worse than natural sugar. I am eating a yoghurt at this moment (hazelnut). It contains 12% sugar. The milk in it as approx 5% sugar (lactose, a natural disaccharid). That means, ELSA obviously added 7% sugar, coming from sugar beets or sugar cane. Sure they need to declare this on the ingredients list. You will find lots of recent studies concerning this issue.

• Taking a look on the ingredients of „Soylent Drink Creamy Chocolate“ I see lots of ingredients which are either artificially produced or are produced from modified natural ingredients. Modified means, they adapt the characteristics from an ingredient to suit better in the production process. This can be done with acids, enzyms, oxidize…

• I suggest to Google some of the ingredients in the Vitamins&Mineral Premix section. Some of them are might be carcinogen or related to other health issues.

Regards

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fan of meal replacements and I’m still not a fan of it, except for breakfast. I’m always cooking my meal for lunch and dinner as I’m highly convinced that replacement meal won’t do the work and it is better to take time to cook than take a meal replacement.

However, for breakfast, as I always drink a protein smoothie, I was interested by some kind of breakfast replacement and I discover Huel | Complete Food. I’ve been testing their Huel Black Edition for 2 months now and I’m very satisfied by their taste. Or course, it will never be better than some pancake & bacon, but for a breakfast replacement it’s doing his job.

They also have other product as meal replacement if you are interested. Unfortunately, you will pay a lot if you want to be delivered in Switzerland (personaly I ship it to my uncler in France, it’s cheaper).

I will speak about something I do not know because I never tried it but to me there are two big problems anyway.
This is highly processed food and studies claim that the only processed food you should buy is bread.
This is liquid food and your brain does not count drinks as food that provides energy so this my cause you to continue to be hungry after such a meal.
My meal replacement is two slices of bread, one apple and one yogurt without sugar added. Enjoy! :blush:

Hi everyone,

Do you know the Yuka app?

You can scan items and it tells the quality of the food. In particular I like that it checks if it has harmful additives and what they are included for. It’s not only for food, it can also scan cosmetics and hygiene products.

I think this is a UK app and the scan is not so good for Swiss products but works fine with international brands. Perhaps someone is aware of a better app to use in Switzerland?

Perhaps some of the items discussed in this thread can be scanned through the app and give an initial idea if it finds anything bad…

Personally I am also on the camp of trying to eat more natural/whole food and nearly zero added sugars, or at least try my best to. I admit that my knowledge on this is more based on blog posts/YouTube videos rather than scientific papers because I find those quite hard to judge in this field, for example there are also many contradictory studies all the time. However, it sounds intuitive to me that our bodies should be able to better handle natural food rather than industrialized edible products :wink:

I hope you find a solution which works best for you and I’d be curious to see what Yuka would reports on these items.

Cheers,

3 Likes

It’s french and seems super popular there (many relatives are using it). I don’t think there’s anything better in CH (coverage for eg coop is decent already), in practice it’s openfoodfacts data (opendata for food).

In my view this app is more like a scam than something useful, however for people that doesn’t know anything about nutrition, it should be used with caution.

In fact, the app is based on the macronutrient of the product and not on the composition itself. For exemple, a diet coke will have a better review than the original one. The basic Nesquick cacao powder will have a bad review compare to the one with less sugar. However, the sugar replacement is not better for health than the sugar itself…

Another example, if you want to purchase some peanut butter with 100% of peanut, the app will give you a negative review because this kind of product contains 49 gr of fat for 100 gr of product. However, eating peanut butter butter isn’t bad for your health.

If you want to eat healthy, you should just focus, mainly, on raw food: fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, cereal, rice, pasta, etc. And try to not consume too much processed products. A good balanced should be to eat 80% of raw food and 20% of processed food (ice cream, pizza, meal replacement, soda, biscuits, flavoured yogurt, etc.).

1 Like