VT and VTI alternatives in CHF

You are right, let me edit my post.

I have a bit less than half of my ETF investments into this one, what I found is that - as Iā€™d been buying it via UBS - is that UBS has a good number of bid/ask (in the hundreds), while on PostFinance (where I am moving to for lower fees) thereā€™s 10 times lower. Could UBS be the market maker? I wonder if itā€™s worth worrying about it considering I am not looking to sell for a long time? An option would be to sell all and rebuy something more liquid on the SIX (like VWRL which I started building on in 2024)? Iā€™d lose on fees and spreads though.

It is however listed as traded in CHF on the SIX here: https://www.justetf.com/en/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00B6R52259#stock-exchange, what am I missing?

Why would somebody call?
VWRL is the simplest one-liner in the tax declaration, and all data isin the ICTax database (I assume you mean tax declaration, since there is no tax to ā€œreturnā€).

I meant that the options are few

• SSACCHF and IWDC are only accumulating world ETF on SIX trading in CHF
  • VWRL is traded in CHF but is distributing
  • SWDA is accumulating but is traded in USD
  • FWRA is also accumulating and in CHF but is very new ETF

In general there is not much issue. Only spreads would be higher which would be a one time cost that should not make too much drag in long term. However, i prefer more liquid ETFs just because they are easy to trade.

I am a bit surprized to see VTI underperformed VT. Please double check

Anyhow, over last 10 years VEVE gave better returns than IWDC. I like to compare apple to apple. So i would compare IWDC, SWDA (both are traded in Europe, have irish ISIN and are from ishares, only difference is hedging or not)
2014 to 2024 in CHF-: SWDA (110%) , IWDC (96.7%) source justetf . So in this scenario hedging didnt help.

If someone has interest in hedge or no hedge, morningstar has a good paper
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/ecc9a964-0c09-4184-8ba7-084382b8074f

To be honest, it is very difficult to beat buying VT on IBKR. It is cheapest, it is largest and most diverse and also IB is cheapest to trade. But i do not think people look for other options because of cost necessarily. Sometimes, mental peace depends on comfort.

I personally also have VT on IB as main investment. But will also look into SWDA on SQ as second option.

Thanks, my reasoning was that I prefer to just have it all in CHF (maybe that the OPā€™s family member had the same thought) so anything I see is exactly what I get and I never have to think in terms of currencies (even though Iā€™ve read the several discussions here that currency doesnā€™t matter) or hedging, furthermore the idea was not to trade them, just to build and hold for a long time

no, the spread is the gap between the buy and the sell price. You can find this info on the SIX website for exemple: https://www.six-group.com/de/products-services/the-swiss-stock-exchange/market-data/etf/etf-explorer/etf-detail.IE00B6R52259CHF4.html#/

Sorry but what is the difference between VT chf adjusted and a normal VT?

ā€¦also known as a ā€žtax returnā€œ in English, yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

So simple indeed that the family member may see through your ruse and notice itā€˜s a USD fund. :wink:
Despite his/her insistence to @Hemingway that a CHF-denominated fund be purchased.

The CHF Equivalent to VTI is an SPI ETF and/or Index Fund. Just sayingā€¦

I would respect the desire for CHF Hedged investing. It does no good, but it as well (over the very long time) does no harm.

The question is whether your contact was capable and willing to deal with investing at a broker. Sounds a bit like ā€œI donā€™t want trouble, donā€™t want to focus on it, donā€™t want to do anythingā€ case. Hence, I would go to Avadisā€¦

1 Like

Well, maybe it does some harm (costs). But then, itā€™s statistically a superior option to not investing at all.
And maybe the family number needs to make his/her own experience.

Iā€™d invest about half of it into a hedged fund and half of it in a CHF-denominated but unhedged fund.
Or maybe a 33-67% split.

1 Like

Performance data will be available when the ETF will be 1 year old.

Exactly what Iā€™ll do