Viac + Early Withdrawal

Should you want to withdraw pillar 3a money while abroad, you can get it within 2-4 weeks minus the tax at source. Relevant is the canton of the organisation holding your pillar 3a money. Should you decide to declare the disbursement in your residence country’s tax declaration, you can reclaim the tax at source from Switzerland in certain countries (depending on double tax treaty). But you might also be required to pay taxes in your residence country. For the reimbursement of tax at source you will need to calculate 12 - 15 months for the whole cycle to conclude. I recently completed this in Luxembourg and wrote a post about it on my blog. I also found out that the level of my income influenced the tax rate. The less you earn, the less you pay in Luxembourg for the pillar 3a disbursement.

3 Likes

In many, maybe most (relevant) countries that’s not a choice but an obligation.

Though probably only once you cash out - merely holding the 3a account as foreign retirement benefits does probably not need to be declared in most countries.

Very well explained, IMO. :+1:t2:
Much better practical guidance than the tax authorities are ever going to give you.

3 Likes

Correct: 2nd pillar money (Freizügigkeitskonto), 3a accounts and rent deposit accounts are not reported to the country of your domicile under automated exchange of information.

Thank you!