US-ETFs (VT for instance) not available anymore in Switzerland?

Résidence would matter for IB, not citizenship. That said some US brokers are fine with non resident US citizens, that’s how people do in countries where mifiid applies afaik.

(Tho I’m fairly sure some brokers will keep access to US ETFs in Switzerland anyway)

1 Like

I’m quite sure there are US citizens that hold Swiss-domiciled assets (house, share of their company, etc.).

In any case, restrictions on offering or distributing investment products and securities will (primarily) be based on residence, not citizenship.

An EU-resident US-citizen retail investor won’t be able to buy US funds through their German or French broker.

2 Likes

Hours away from answering one of the biggest questions in the swiss Moustachian world… :rofl:

8 Likes

I would even say in the whole world. This is maybe as important as the James Webb launch.

James Webb is about TV (terminal velocity). We’re talking about VT!

Well, I’ve done what I could. All I could bring together I put in VT the last week, so I’m sure it will crash tomorrow :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll bring my (so far unused) Yuh account into good use and order a unit of VT right at midnight. :moon:

EDIT: Actually, opening the app for currency exchange, I think I don’t have to. For me, this basically confirms that U.S. ETFs aren’t going anywhere (in the near future, at Yuh, and probably Swissquote).

Well, at least for now (02:44 UTC-5) VT is still available on IB to me, it seems.

5 Likes

Guess we may see each other in a year then.

7 Likes

I’d be curious to know where the 5M comes from (doesn’t match the law/regulation).

1 Like

If the button at the end of the message is something like “I agree”, this means that you are either 1 or 2, with this statement Swissquote is compliant with law. Nobody will check if you lied or not.

In Switzerland, High net worth individual is from 5 millions.

Yes, that’s indeed the commonly accepted non legal definition. For the purpose of the law wrt professsional status, the limit is 2M: https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2019/758/en#art_5

5 Likes

Let’s ask the shit out of IB’s, DEGIRO’s and swissquote’s customer service until then!

Thanks for the link. Background is here: Federal Council extends transitional period for key information document for complex financial instruments

11 Likes

So it seems that we got another year?

6 Likes

Reading the rational of the change, it’s mostly focused on funds requirement on KIID formats (to align with the EU side of the change which also got delayed).

For a broker there isn’t much reason to wait (if they think they’ll have to withdraw access, e.g. like UBS did a year ago, not sure why they’d wait last minute).

1 Like

Ever heard of customer service?
I‘m sure they‘ll just update their data when they know the exact date.

Swissquote‘s answer would never fly in a neighbouring EU state.

Then again, we’re not an EU member. :sweat_smile:

Aren’t they more or less stating that in that case the client use swissquote as an execution only broker/reverse solicitation? (which is one of the case covered by the regulation)

I have seen such example too. I searched for a cheaper MSCI World alternative and found the AMUNDI PRIME GLOBAL ETF which is only for institutional customers in switzerland. I can buy it nonetheless via IB though but the support gave me more or less the same answer like Swissquote in this thread.

I’ve just bought 19 shares of VT now, still available for us in Switzerland.

No error or warning messages :upside_down_face:

6 Likes