US-ETFs (VT for instance) not available anymore in Switzerland?

I totally agree. There is no logic to this.

I am not allowed to buy US ETFs, but I am allowed to buy

• their CFDs
  • their composing stocks
  • unregulated speculation like P2P lending and Crypto
  • overpriced mutual funds and ETNs with intransparent fees
  • insurance plans with sky high fees
  • Copy Trading portfolios
  • do leveraged buying
  • buy options

By the same logic, all of this should be banned too for retail investors.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the same logic. The things you mentioned are way more complex, and banks/brokers can make a lot more money with it. A simple ETF with really low costs is not good for banks. Lobby-ism at its best (remember, that the UCITS stuff is coming from EU)

I know what it is about, I specialized in economic policy and political science at Uni. I am hard to beat at cynicism :wink:

It’s logical from a lobbyist point of view, it’s not from a consumer protection standpoint.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted :joy:

Totally agree

It won’t make much of a difference on 30k.

I agree that it is not the end of the world but I disagree with what you write.

→ investing your bonus in one lump sum on the day that you receive it is not market timing.
→ investing a lump sum beat DCA about 2/3 of the time

1 Like

Any idea how regulations apply for people with dual citizenship? I have both U.S. and Swiss citizenship and created a IBKR account just a few days ago. Afaik, as a U.S. citizen I should only hold U.S. domiciled assets. Thus, I guess I will still be allowed to buy VT in that case, no?

Résidence would matter for IB, not citizenship. That said some US brokers are fine with non resident US citizens, that’s how people do in countries where mifiid applies afaik.

(Tho I’m fairly sure some brokers will keep access to US ETFs in Switzerland anyway)

1 Like

I’m quite sure there are US citizens that hold Swiss-domiciled assets (house, share of their company, etc.).

In any case, restrictions on offering or distributing investment products and securities will (primarily) be based on residence, not citizenship.

An EU-resident US-citizen retail investor won’t be able to buy US funds through their German or French broker.

2 Likes

Hours away from answering one of the biggest questions in the swiss Moustachian world… :rofl:

8 Likes

I would even say in the whole world. This is maybe as important as the James Webb launch.

James Webb is about TV (terminal velocity). We’re talking about VT!

Well, I’ve done what I could. All I could bring together I put in VT the last week, so I’m sure it will crash tomorrow :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll bring my (so far unused) Yuh account into good use and order a unit of VT right at midnight. :moon:

EDIT: Actually, opening the app for currency exchange, I think I don’t have to. For me, this basically confirms that U.S. ETFs aren’t going anywhere (in the near future, at Yuh, and probably Swissquote).

Well, at least for now (02:44 UTC-5) VT is still available on IB to me, it seems.

5 Likes

Guess we may see each other in a year then.

7 Likes

I’d be curious to know where the 5M comes from (doesn’t match the law/regulation).

1 Like

If the button at the end of the message is something like “I agree”, this means that you are either 1 or 2, with this statement Swissquote is compliant with law. Nobody will check if you lied or not.

In Switzerland, High net worth individual is from 5 millions.

Yes, that’s indeed the commonly accepted non legal definition. For the purpose of the law wrt professsional status, the limit is 2M: https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2019/758/en#art_5

5 Likes

Let’s ask the shit out of IB’s, DEGIRO’s and swissquote’s customer service until then!

Thanks for the link. Background is here: Federal Council extends transitional period for key information document for complex financial instruments

11 Likes