Unrealistic savings goals

No, living with a partner registered at the same place would just be a good arguement for that place being your “Lebensmittelpunkt”.

1 Like

I can assure you that it’s fishy. I pay 2k and I’m 2.5 km from City center and this is considered ultra-cheap. Old Town is practically city center - the rent won’t be lower than 2k.

PS. On the other hand 50m2 is really small, so it might be an exception to the rule.

It wasn’t fishy. It was a really old building, and the flat itself was really run down. You would have had to redo all the painting, get some new lights etc. Plus, the kitchen and bathroom was pretty old.

The previous tenant told me that someone had just bought the house from the community of heirs. Maybe the new landlord would have increased the prices, but since I never received any feedback I don’t really know.

Anyway, it would have been a bargain, and it was for real (I was actually there and checking the flat with my own eyes).

That’s a nice one! Thanks a lot for the hint!

btw: I don’t really get why they have the WA status at all. In my home country, you can have several flats, without anyone questioning that (as long as you can pay all of them). But we do have the same tax in the whole country, unlike Switzerland.

Still, if I can afford to have two flats, I don’t understand why you need to do the WA stuff at all (and they can even deny your request). I’d still do grocery shopping there, spending money on dinners or go to concerts.

that is precisely the reason why the WA status exists

btw for some real numbers:

We had a net income of 145000 last year (according to Zugs generous deduction calculation) that would cost us roughly ~10000chf in state and local taxes in Zug, 19000 in ZH city and 20000 in Lucerne. The savings are huge for such a short distance.

2 Likes

Agreed. Also don’t forget that it’s not just income taxes. Once you get close to FI and have accumulated lets say 2 Mio CHF in Zürich you will get an additional wealth tax of 6.1K / year, in Freienbach SZ just 2.8k, Zug 4.7k. At this point dividends will also heavily increase your income and income tax difference will be even larger.

1 Like

Usually. But than just sometimes there are things like e.g. an old lady renting out an apartment and puts a price that she considers “fair”. Not everyone is optimizing for income.

Of course irrational people exist but there aren’t many of them.

Or 27k+ in Lausanne (plus federal tax, but that’s the same everywhere.

Or 14k in Lausanne. Ouch.