The smarter choice: Mietkautionsinsurance (rental guarantee) or Mietkautionsdepot (security deposit)?

I was thinking as well about the Mietkaution recently. I decided that I will take the current amount which I have locked in the Mietkaution as marginal loan from IBKR. You pay 1.5% interest rate, still much lower than all this shady Mietkaution companies. I will invest it in the market, but even if you dont invest it its much better than the 4-5% rate these companies are offering.

1 Like

Interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow:… i wasn’t aware of such an offering at IB. I’m intrigued. What are the terms for taking out a loan at IB at these interest rates?

1 Like

It’s a long story, you better start at the end :roll_eyes:

1 Like

this could provide a much better return, (~7% on average) covering the costs of the annual premium (~4%)

The 7% are speculative, while the 4% are 100% sure.

1 Like

Have you guys tried Axa? I used to pay around 3.5% there.

I guess the % is aligned with interest rates increase. And they did increase by .5 / 1% over the last year.

(Axa seems to be at 4% now)

2 Likes

To bring something constructive to @rombob.

We were able to obtain a modification of our lease with my partner. We will move in January instead of March 2023. Finally, we also decided to open a rent deposit savings account instead of paying an insurance premium.

Our thinking: we have some money saved up, rather than losing money by giving it for free to an insurance company that will turn against us if necessary, it is better to “separate” ourselves from a certain amount of money that will be used to cover costs without having to pay extra via insurance premiums.

In our case: 6’420 CHF.

4 Likes

Well happy new year and congrats on the new appartment/jobs! Out of curiosity, where did you opt to open up the rental deposit account?

My partner and I moved in together april 2022. Until then I was always paying the “insurance” for my own place, didn’t have the cash. She and I decided to go the deposit route this time. At the time the only bank which seemed to offer some interest and was free was Bank Cler (for canton de Vaud), at a whooping 0.01%, - so we opened up the rental deposit account there. I just received a notification this week that for 2023 they increased the rate to 0.20%!

We also see the money set aside as already allocated for the day we might want to purchase a house/appartment together, we can use it to finance it, or we can use it to buy furniture, and with the interest maybe buy a nice bottle of champagne to celebrate :stuck_out_tongue: (given that we get 100% back after moving out from the rental of course :slight_smile: )

I did the same with my 6 week deposit.
It cost 20chf to open a deposit account at BCGE so it was worth it for me.
I account it as cash in my portfolio.

1 Like

Thank you for the greetings !

We didn’t look about which bank security deposit account had the better interest. Since we are both with Raiffeisen and because I like to see each of our account with the mobile app (E-Banking), we go with them. It was a total mess to open it :joy:

So we just get straight forward to our daily bank.

2 Likes

The rental agency usually does it for you, at least in my experience.

1 Like

It wasn’t my case for both of our apartment. Maybe a specific thing in the german side :thinking: or from a specific agency?

Same here, we’ve never had the choice to choose where we want to have the rental deposit. It was always the landlord or rental agency that decided it.

1 Like