Switching from CT to IB

days i dont remember. but on signing up you pick one base currency where all the reports are referring to. in my case, CHF, but EUR or CHF work the same.

I also do not remember how many days it took but it was much quicker than opening my SAXO account and it also did not require me to get ripped off by the post for a f*cking copy of my ID (still salty about that).

2 Likes

I have decided to switch from CT to IB.
how do you transfer your ETFs and Stocks ? do you know what’s the cost of doing that and how to do it?
I foundthis thread on this matter but seems like not many responses arround.
BTW, the title of this thread is perfect to raise the question.

As far as I remember @Mobius did such transfer, but I don’t know the details.

The process is free and quite simple. It has been a long time so I don’t recall all the details, but on the IB Account Management website you can initiate a position transfer, and then they’ll get in touch with your CT account manager (I recommend calling him as well, just to be safe). Your positions will move to IB without any sale/loss.

Good to read it is a free of charge process, I’ll contact CT and let you know

I tried to set the transfer from CT to IB, but I don’t know which method I should use for the transfer: FOP, ACATS, ATON, DRS, DWAC, International Asset Transfer? Do you remember this @Mobius?

I used International Asset Trasnfer if I remember correctly
And I don’t know if it was the holiday or whatever but it took 25 days to trasnfer the securities! But at no charge

1 Like

From those ones I’d say International Asset Transfer.

1 Like

Sorry, but I can’t find the IBAN of my IB account to transfer cash from my Raiffeisen account. Where can I find this info or how do I do to transfer cash? Thanks for helping

In your Account Management interface:
Menu > Transfer & Pay > Transfer Funds > Bank Wire

Once you specify the amount you will get IBAN details et al.

Thank you for your answer, it seems pretty easy!

Dear all,
I am starting in this world and I am a bit lost with terminology and where to start here in Switzerland
I am spanish living in Switzerland with C permit. I would like to invest in some Vanguard ETFs like VOO, VTI, VEU or VT. What’s the easiest/cheapest way do operate here in Switzerland? CT, IB, Swissquote, PostOffice, UBS

Are there other ETFs more attractive here in Switzerland due to lower taxes/fees ?
Thanks for sharing your recomendation.

1 Like

Hello @disaga87. You need to read the forum a bit first. There are already answers to your questions.

By the way. You should also post on the right place and not just reply to a random post.

1 Like

Hi, @ma0 is right, but I will answer you any way.

The easiest, cheapest and argueably the best option for a Swiss-domiciled person is to open an account with IB and buy VT. When you do this, there are just two simple things you need to remember:

1. Before buying VT, exchange your CHF to USD in IB
  2. When preparing your annual tax declaration, put your VT position in the DA-1 form, and send it separately in order to get back the US withholding tax.
1 Like

Thanks. I was busy reading the entire blog and trying to take the most updated info available and that took time to be done in my brain :smiley:.
My open question is that IB charges 10chf a month for accounts with less than 100k so not sure if other broker fits better (DEGIRO). On the other hand with the new regulation, we are still not sure that IB will block US ETFs, so everything is a bit open yet
 not easy time to join
I any case thanks a lot.