Switching from CT to IB

It if definitely less than 108chf per position in fees at the moment. :smiley: Anyway, decided to sell up and re-buy at IB as advised.

On another note now that I have used it, the IBM TWS Mobile app is an absolute GODSEND, seriously, so intuitive and everything is at your fingertips. Not only that but you can pretty much stay logged in the whole day with only the occasional fingerprint scan refresh. It has almost single handedly changed my experience of using the platform. :slight_smile:

As far as I can see, at CT you can also buy Vanguard ETFs on NYSE. What is the reason nobody is doing that if they have such a low TER? Is it the 4 cnt / share transaction cost (min 25 USD per purchase) or are there any other disadvantages? As I see from the discussion, in this case you would also not own the shares, but be registered with CT as this is a US ETF, right?

exactly this: min xx USD at CT vs. <CHF1 at IB for each trade. this gives you a strong incentitive to have much fewer ETFs with CT than with IB and to convert your CHF less offten into ETFs, hence having more unproductive cash lying around. I, for example, distribute my savings on 6 ETFs each month, which costs me about 2$ vs 150 :scream:

and another thing: CT (at least half a year ago) could not apply the source tax treaty btween CH and USA which means you directly lose 15% of dividens from US.

ah and some people here found that CT has worse forex rates, about 0.5% compared to IB.

1 Like

My plan was to trade only once a year and have two or three ETFs (something like VOO, VWO and VEA with very low TER) which should reduce the costs.

Concerning the exchange rate of 0.5% by CT, I was planning to make a USD account at Postfinance (it should be free as long as you keep 7500 CHF there, otherwise 10 CHF per month).

Does it make sense or am I missing something? Or is it better to buy iShares Core MSCI World and iShares EM IMI both with 0.25% TER?

In my understanding lowest possible TER is much more important that the entry and exit costs that you just pay once.

By the way, another concern in changing to IB an keeping CT should be this thing about informing them that you have some connection to the US, right? That’s what it said in the contract while opening an account. Does anyone know how to interpret this?

+0.15% stamp duty

Whereas foreign brokers like IB aren’t obliged to charge swiss stamp duty

Also tax considerations are important. For example tax difference between US and non-US domiciled ETFs on US market is 15% in dividend taxes which at 2% yield is equivalent to a 0.30% difference in TER

1 Like

You can do that, no problem. The thing is, IB is a much cheaper choice than CT, unless you’re afraid of US or like CH so much. If that’s the case, then you probably will not want to have an american broker too. That’s why I said that the two go in pair. But Irish ETFs at IB and American ETFs at CT would work.

I put the advantages of each option in some thread here. It would be sth like:
Broker - IB over CT: lower transaction costs, no stamp duty
ETF - US over IE: lower TER, lower spreads, more choice

Does anyone know how would the switch in the other direction work: from IB to CT? I mention this for the case of force majeure if you want to bring your money to “safe” Switzerland. With the current US president I don’t expect US to be particularly peaceful and stable.

But then you’d need to avoid all US companies too, and they are a good 55% of the total world market. Not a good plan, think again

Could you please explain why the market weight of the US matters? I understand that the US economy is large and influential, but why can’t you just pick an index of a country with good economy and politically stable (like Scandinavian countries) and skip the US. Why does this volume matter for passive investing? It also refers to your previously expressed opinion that you have to have good reasons to do factor investing. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

it’s the most important econony in the world, and most of the world’s greatest companies are there. You’d cripple your portfolio by skipping it

1 Like

So in your opinion these are the greatest companies that makes sense to invest in, not the maximum geographical coverage (for risk reduction) ? Then there should be an index following the best companies worldwide. Is there any of that kind?

You need to understand that more than half (if I’m not mistaken) of business done by S&P 500 companies business is outside of USA. If you invest in Scandinavian markets, then you invest in less than 1% of global economy. To avoid risk, you should have a diversified portfolio.

For example, until 2007, the polish stock exchange has been developing at a crazy rate and then it lost 2/3 of value. This week came the news, that WIG (Warsaw Stock Exchange Total Return index) finally surpassed it’s peak from 2007, after 11 years. You don’t want to wait that long, do you?

1 Like

The easiest and fastest way would be to sell the share on IB and buy them right after on CT:

How many days did it take you to open the IB account? Do you have to somehow specially apply to have a multi currency account (USD, EUR) to send money in CHF or does it come automatically?

days i dont remember. but on signing up you pick one base currency where all the reports are referring to. in my case, CHF, but EUR or CHF work the same.

I also do not remember how many days it took but it was much quicker than opening my SAXO account and it also did not require me to get ripped off by the post for a f*cking copy of my ID (still salty about that).

2 Likes

I have decided to switch from CT to IB.
how do you transfer your ETFs and Stocks ? do you know what’s the cost of doing that and how to do it?
I foundthis thread on this matter but seems like not many responses arround.
BTW, the title of this thread is perfect to raise the question.

As far as I remember @Mobius did such transfer, but I don’t know the details.

The process is free and quite simple. It has been a long time so I don’t recall all the details, but on the IB Account Management website you can initiate a position transfer, and then they’ll get in touch with your CT account manager (I recommend calling him as well, just to be safe). Your positions will move to IB without any sale/loss.

Good to read it is a free of charge process, I’ll contact CT and let you know