Starting to invest big amount in ETF

Hello all,

I am posting here because i will soon have a similar dilemna.
My father passed away and I should receive around CHF 600k. With my wife, we already have a house so we do not need to buy one.

What to do with this money ? all in VT ?
My idea is to maybe decrease my working percentage from 100% to 80% and compensate with dividends/capital gains. This would allow me to spend more time with my children.

We have one life and I see this idea as a kind of 20% FIRE :slight_smile:

Any advice will be very appreciated !
Thanks!

A standard boglian answer would be: define your asset allocation and invest according to it. Also at least 20% of 2nd pillar and cash isn’t bad.

2 Likes

Do you spend more than 80% of your income? :thinking:

1 Like

@Ardius : My condolences, I hope the family is fine and you’re going through the hardship with a positive mindset. It sure would be nice if that windfall could be passed forward and allow you to spend more quality time with your partner and children.

This. Also, discuss it with your partner and make sure you are on the same page for both returns and risk tolerance.

I’d be more conservative than 100% VT but if you take your second pillar into account, that’s probably the case already, though I’d calculate to which extent and see if that matches my estimated risk tolerance.

We spend aprox. 55% of net income :wink:

Thank you for the comments. Since I don’t need this money, my risk tolerance is high…
I will have a look on the full picture and get back to you.

2 Likes

Definitely consider the 80% if your employer is open to it. It’s great to spend more time with kids, but the bigger effect for me is that it’s on a weekday alone with her, instead of the usual weekend-day as a family.
My daughter is quite different to me when mummy-mummy is not around,and quite different situations develop. If I only knew my daughter & she only knew me from family evenings & weekends, I think the relationship would feel quite different. My experience, of course can be totally different for you/your situation.

2 Likes

100k in Bitcoin, 500k in VT, thank me by the end of the year.