Share your net worth progression

Haha here you can see how spoiled this community is. Not a lot of people would assume 600k might even be possible. :smile:
No offense, I added a zero at the first glance as well.

I hope people don’t get intimidated by some of the ridiculous NWs here and don’t compare too much.
@1000000CHF seems to be very disciplined and is on the right track, moving forward with big steps. :slight_smile:
I don’t think we see the average user in this thread, but I’d like to see more stories of FIRE paths with average salaries. Not everybody can aim for many millions and most people don’t need to as well.
Even though 1000000CHF for example would probably also end up with millions in the long run.

2 Likes

You want modest NW? I got you covered pal :smiley: 37 YO here, I’ve only been starting to track from the start of the year, I just started my investing journey also. “Lots” of cash which is because my car is getting old and I’ll have to buy a new one soonish :cry:

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing, guys. Personally, I find these charts with overlapping layers/colors and lacking 000s separators hard to read. :wink:

7 Likes

I agree.
Either set it as a regular line chart, or a stacked area chart.
This blend of “worst of both worlds” is tough to look at. :grin:

Edit: Or you could keep the total NW series as area with sensible opacity, and the rest as line charts - if you want to keep looking at individual series’ performance.
Just did a quick simulation:

Or stacked area only (total NW is implicit)

3 Likes

I’m pretty much following exactly what you described.

For the car since it’s a big expense and I have not saved enough for it right now, I’m keeping my emergency fund at 25K. If the car dies unexpectedly tomorrow I’m able to cover this, however if it lives long enough I’ll have saved to replace it without touching the fund. For the rest I have a list of planned expenses for the year. I then spread the cost of them over each months. This monthly sum of planned expenses savings I put on a seperate account and withdraw from it when the actual expense happens. For now it’s not invested just on a regular 0% bank account. The rest of the money is then invested. I think the timeline for my planned expenses is too short right now to warrant investing it.

Once this car business is handled I’m probably going to lower my emergency fund to 15K
and start saving for the next one :sweat:

I don’t think it’s possible to do what you suggest with google spreadsheet. What tool do you use?

Google Sheets. :slight_smile:

Just put it as Combo chart and you can specify Type for each series in the Customize tab.

I know you did not come here asking for advice about this but may I ask what is your budget / philosophy regards car? If you are keeping 42k cash for the car replacement, does that imply you are planning to spend 27k? That might seem a little un-mustachian v some other folks, but of course you might have a reason for example you have a big commute

My strategy is paying as little as possible for a car that will last me a lifetime :sweat_smile:

Seriously I’m not looking to spend so much on a car, just to be clear the cash amount is split into the following: 25K emergency, 9k already saved for car, 5k apartment deposit of both our current and last apartment which half is going to be used for the car and the money saved for my planned expenses of this year, which right now is 2.5K.

I have a daughter so we are looking for a family car which we can take also when going on holidays. There might be another kid on the way so I have to take this into account also. I’m not sure what you guys use but when looking at the market I don’t think I’ll be able to get away with less than 20K. I’d take a used car but not a 100K km one, because honestly I have no interest in having to look after my car, I just want one that works and I don’t have to worry about parts failing. I was looking at Skoda Fabia Combi or Octavia. But I’m not set on that at all it’s just the best from the few we tested.

All advice on this front welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh god you made me finally understand combo charts :astonished:

I am in alignment with that philosophy :slight_smile: There are separate threads about cars and emergency funds on the forum

1 Like

Wrong direction, wrong direction!!!

Also no longer net worth millionaire :frowning:

3 Likes

See the bright side, you will probably become millionaire for the second time next month and celebrate again :champagne: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

14 Likes

With such a large portion of your NW in bitcoin you should kind of expect a wild ride :slight_smile:

There are some its/it’s confusions in your post.

1 Like

Thanks fixed, that’s what you get after ~10h work and no double day weekend :cry:

Why are you holding 5k worth of SPXU? You are just bleeding money to negative gamma and volatility decay.

1 Like

-20% in net worth last month, you are not alone :sweat_smile:

I know I should get rid of it… Was a failed attempt to short the market on the bottom last year… Just don’t want to admit that 18k loss :sob: Fuck it, market sell order placed for today…

5 Likes

Friends don’t let friends use market orders!

2 Likes

It was an IB MidPrice order in the end :wink:

1 Like