Security tips on holding a large crypto position

I don’t know, but I bet you can ask your bank before hand to double check if there’s a 6-figures transfer. (and at least mine seems to proactively check). Also those are more traceable and can potentially be reverted unlike blockchain transactions.

1 Like

is it safe to purchase GBTC? recommmened?

It’s one of the largest holidngs in ARKW etf

@Bojack, and where are you today with your 10k in BTC/ETH?

I almost have enough to buy a Tesla with it :smiley:

6 Likes

Where do you buy/store them?

I bought them using Coinbase. Back then it looked the most trust-worthy and there was a BTC/EUR & ETH/EUR market. I store it with Ledger Nano. But this is not the thread for this discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done for 10k, right? Happy for you!

2 Likes

Really nice, but don’t leave that amount of money on the exchange, man… really…

See my previous comment:

PS I moved these few posts to a more fitting thread.

1 Like

My bad, haven’t seen it!

I am not an IT expert, can you guys educate on how people can steal my crypto coin?

Assuming that I don’t show my holdings into forums or anyone for that matter.

Would be traditional phishing and then hackers found out that I have crypto holdings. Or would they target me directly because they can see I do transactions on crypto platform?

Your account is as safe as your private key. Your private key could get compromised when generated or accessed. That’s why you generate it on a separate device like Ledger Nano. The device only accepts and displays confidential input/output directly, the USB interface is used only to transfer the signature or other publicly available data.

I guess maybe what could happen is that the app on your laptop would trick you and make you think that you’re signing a different transaction that you actually are. I can’t think of any way that this is solved currently…

2 Likes

It depends where you are holding your coins. If they are on an exchange (binance, coinbase…) the exchange itself can be hacked and then everyhting is lost.

If you are holding on a soft wallet (a software on your phone or your browser) you can get tricked to send your coins to a wrong addresse, or get your private key stolen the same way you could lost your password (phising, mostly).

A hard wallet is indeed the safest option out there for now.

2 Likes

The problem with security is if you think about all scenarios you will probably end up with an over engineered solution. You need to adjust your strategy based on how risk averse you are and how much you hold.

My personal rule of thumb:

• Under 10k: leave it in exchange
  • Under 100k: hardware wallet
  • Above 100k: multisig
3 Likes

Thank you @Zurtan! That’s very helpful.

I was mainly concerned on the exchange as I would stake them there. I guess the exchange sometime refund if it gets hacked. But I guess depends on the break-in, if too big it may go south.

I was reading KuCoin had a break in but eventually customers got their money backs via insurance, recovery and KuCoin paying some of the money lost