Safe Swiss banks to buy crypto with

You can also check ABTC, with a 1.49% premium, which you can buy in CHF at SIX. https://21shares.com/product/abtc

It’s free with Swissquote. Only a fee of 10 USD is applied at the withdrawal
https://fr.swissquote.com/crypto-assets/pricing seems a good option

Anyone bought ABTC through IB? I have it available in USD as ABTCUSD.

Hello,

Currently I’m using a demo version of IB in order to try it before open a broker account to buy some ETF with this plateform. I’m interested to purchase and hold some ETP about cryptocurrency, especialy one from 21 Shares with the ticker: ABBA.

The demo version don’t allowed me to try to purchase it, so I was wondering if it is possible to do it with a “normal” IB account in CHF if possible ?

I tried on my account, and can find the ticker, but it says “contract is not available for trading” when I try to buy.

Oh… :sweat_smile:

It says exactly the same with the demo version, so maybe you can’t trade ETP with IB? I think it is possible with Swissquote and PF E-Trading. Well, I will not trade this one and maybe find something else.

Thank you !

Yes, you’re right. I also get the same message.

Bought using PF in chf

2 Likes

No PF here. I will check the IB permissions for trading.

I’ve bought ABBA a while ago on IB. No problems. Probably a permissions issue.

2 Likes

It is. Just tried and same issue. Thanks

1 Like

did you ever solve this as the ABTC ticker is available in IB? Which permission did you register for?

Adding a little more experience here, I bought cryptos with fiat money using Coinbase and Kraken, and transferred cryptos to SwissBorg for a test drive. Here is a quick summary.

Coinbase
I transferred EUR there and bought BTC, fees were much lower using the pro version (which feels like a standard trading system). Fees have increased this past year, for anything less than 50k USD you will pay at least 0.35%. An interesting perk of Coinbase is that transferring to an external wallet is free.

Kraken
I transferred CHF there and bought BTC and other shitcoins, fees are lower than on Coinbase (0.16%-0.26% maker/taker fee – though you have to get up early to benefit from a maker fee). They also charge a fixed fee when withdrawing to an external wallet, although not as high as…

SwissBorg
Neat app, the overall experience is simple and enjoyable, but the fees, the fees! To put it simply, unless you are a premium user 1% on each transaction is just way too much. And to qualify for premium, you “just” need to hold 50’000 CHSB for a year, which amounts to roughly 37k CHF these days. The CHSB grew insanely these past months, but I can’t help wondering what is going to happen when the users are allowed to sell their staked tokens. Withdrawal fees are not pleasant, a relatively high minimum (4x kraken’s) or 0.1%.

I ended up withdrawing everything to a cold wallet, the plan is to HODL, as I don’t trust anyone more than I have to, which is precisely the point of cryptos, right?

6 Likes

Wow.
This insanely helpful.
Can I ask you a few questions?
I assume I can not transfer CHF to Coinbase? Or if i tried it would convert to EUR at some sort of exchange rate? I have the non pro version.
Would you know for both Coinbase and Kraken can we withdraw to a different fiat currency than what was originally transferred?

Sorry if these are super basic questions. I’m still dipping my toe in this world. I have multiple fiat bank accounts so want to see what the future possibilities are for withdrawing to USD/EUR/CAD/CHF?

Thanks!

Coinbase does not accept CHF, at the time I had spare EUR that I wanted to use for cryptos hence my choice. Don’t make the mistake of using regular Coinbase, switch directly to Coinbase pro to avoid even higher fees. The account is the same, and you can move your assets between the two platforms for free.

I have not tried to withdraw fiat from any crypto platform, I have not decided on an exit strategy yet. But at least for Kraken I know that you can withdraw in any of the following currencies:

In Kraken you can deposit CHF and have CHF Balance → Then convert to USD/EUR to get most crypto coins.

In Coinbase, as you say, they may change it at some point and you end with a EUR/USD balance.

You can ask Kraken support to be 100% sure (they are quite ok).

Imho, you can withdraw to another currency yes, provided that the bank account’s name to where you are withdrawing, is your name.

I’ve been using Kraken recently and it’s fine. I like it more than BitStamp. But please don’t do market orders (use limit orders) as liquidity is low on some trading pairs, especially those with CHF denomination. Check if you’re getting a better deal with CHF → USD → Bitcoin than CHF → Bitcoin, or split it up, etc.

Super helpful all.

Do you all use Kraken Pro or not necessary?

Yes, I do use Kraken Pro. It’s just a name/interface they don’t have a separate log-in or a subscription or something like that. Personal preference, last I checked the fees are the same.

With Kraken always limit orders! Two days ago, there were some crazy wicks. Like ADA dropped within minutes from 1.12 to 0.51 or DOT from 36 to 12. Other exchanges didn’t have that problem. If you want to play it, just set some buy limit orders at -50%, if you’re lucky…

1 Like