All about Revolut

It’s all on their site. Spending with Transferwise costs you something (0.3-1%). What I also saw on their site is that transfering also costs money, so I’m not sure if that thing with Revolut really works.

I just tried it a couple of days ago, 500CHF in -> 500CHF out and 500CHF arrived at Revolut so I consider that a win.

But anyway as long as the Swiss IBAN does not turn into Half Live 3 it is only a temporary solution.

AFAIK Revolut has better currency exchange and stuff.

I dont’ know how many times do we have to cover the same thing. Transferwise will take around 0.5%, so when sending 2000 CHF, they will take 10 CHF.

But if you save yourself the hassle and just make a goddamn direct SWIFT transfer to Revolut, it will cost you 8 CHF.

Moreover, this fee is fixed, so the more you send, the smaller this fee become relative to the sending amount. Here are some fees I found on Englishforum (+2 CHF for a SWIFT order from PostFinance, this depends on your banking package):

• CHF 0.00 - CHF 150.00 = CHF 0.00
  • CHF 151.00 - CHF 10’000 = CHF 6.00
  • from CHF 10’001.00 = CHF 10.00
1 Like

everyone has his own numbers LOL

At what point in the transfer is this taken? I have not seen any loss anywhere, does it have like a minimum value or is it charged later?

My Bank account was charged 500CHF →
My Tranferwise account got 500CHF →
Revolut got 500CHF

So far I can not see where the 2.5CHF(0.5%) would have been taken.

Are you sure the 0.5% counts for the debit card? Because the tw->revolut way uses the Debit card not the transfers (the card was even free, you just had to top up 20CHF which I transferred to Revolut later).

So unless I get charged at the end of the month or something I will consider this a success.

1 Like

What are you talking about? I described the method #3 and the costs are exactly the same. But the method #1 looks interesting!

Whoa, sorry there! I didn’t read into your post. I thought you were suggesting converting CHF to EUR using Transferwise. So you can send CHF to Transferwise and from Transferwise over borders free of charge? Basically bypassing all SWIFT charges? That’s quite sweet. Wonder if the same would work for PLN accounts in Poland. Sorry again for being too quick to judge! :pensive:

No worries, I was surprised that it worked my self.

Anyway I am still waiting for the CH IBAN from revolut, I am also waiting for Portal 3 XD.

1 Like

Method 3 on that forum says 0chf for < 150chf.
Method 1 what derpinator was talking about.

What I was saying before is instead this :

specifically this

Same currency transfers (most currencies)
50p / €0.60

Wait, so you charged your Revolut for FREE, as in 3? Half Life 3 confirmed! :stuck_out_tongue:

I logged into my Transferwise and I see they have developed strongly since. They also offer a card and multiple accounts, like Revolut, and they have web access to your accounts, which Revolut doesn’t have. It’s almost all better than Revolut, with the exception of currency exchange fees, which are around the said 0.5%.

I am really surprised that they provide a Swiss IBAN to charge your account and even more surprised that they will send your CHF to UK free of charge. This has to be a hack, or? The make money by charging for currency exchange, so if you don’t exchange, they don’t earn.

You are quoting the pricing of the card, not of the bank transfer. Or is it how it’s done? No way to make a regular bank transfer?

The same Page also contained this quote further down:

Spend in currencies in your account: Free

So I assume this applies.

It is probably more of an unintended use (then again these days everything is a hack).

This seems to be the most likely option. I mean this is relatively tame, have you seen US Credit-cards and their insane cashback and rewards programs (there were like some 2-5% ones) that are probably mostly paid by other users paying 20+% interest because they have no Idea how to deal with money?

Also we are polluting @Josh’s thread (sorry about that). Could somebody move this to one of the revolut threads if possible?

Your wishes are granted :wink:

3 Likes

I can confirm the method works! The only (one-time) fee I’ve every paid with this method was the shipping cost of the Revolut card (CHF6.99).
The workflow is slightly convoluted, and maybe not always worth it if you value your time, but I just love avoiding all bank & conversion fees!

1. Send X CHF to Transferwise from my Swiss bank account (IBAN transfer).
  2. Wait for money to arrive (takes several days, that’s the slightly annoying part).
  3. Load Revolut account in CHF using the Transferwise Debit card (must specify that currency is CHF, even though it suggests using GBP).
  4. Exactly X CHF are on the Revolut account and can be spent anywhere, with cheap / free currency conversions on the fly.

Transferwise will be eliminated from the workflow when Revolut gets a Swiss IBAN, but until then, it works really well!

3 Likes

Guys, one more thing. I was just checking top-up methods on Revolut website and they write that top up by credit or debit card is free.

Topping up via debit or credit card in GBP, EUR, USD, PLN, DKK, SEK, NOK, RON, and CHF is completely free.

Can you tell me where’s the catch? Why don’t people simply charge Revolut like this?

I just tried topping up Revolut with my credit card, and there were some fees with a tip telling me there would be none with a debit card. For a 1’000.00 top-up, this amounts to 18.40 of fees.

I see. Well, the debit card I have is not even supported. They support Maestro and Visa Debit, but not Plus (that’s what PostFinance is using).

I have opened an account with TransferWise and requested a debit card. Should be there next week. Seems like the sensible thing to do to use Revolut. (On a side note, I just checked my monthly statement with my current CC and they just charged me the yearly fee… frak. Should have looked into this a month ago.)

Swiss banks doesn’t offer the debit card you need for Revolut. Credit card transfer is free from their side, but CC takes 1.5% for foreign transaction (even if in chf)

I had an account at UBS for a year and I had a Maestro debit card. You’re saying it wouldn’t be good?

I have been using the TransferWise debit card to top up at Revolut without an issue. Just keep in mind that once you receive it, you can only top up 250 a day for around two weeks. TransferWise has a Swiss IBAN so depositing CHF there is pretty straight forward.