Raiffeisen shares with 6% annual return

When opening an account in Raiffeisen you become a shareholder (“sociétaire” to be precise) and you are forced to buy 1 share (“part sociale”, 200 chf). This share has had a 6% annual return in the past years although it can theoretically be lower depending on the years.

The thing is that you can actually buy 50 shares (max) for a total of 10000chf (at least in my Raiffeisen in Geneva) getting you 600.- every year for a very little risk.

The only risk I see (apart from the bank going bankrupt) is linked to the inflation. As the share will not grow in value, any inflation is bad. If strong inflation comes back, I might sell the shares back to the bank.

Hi @Dago

I contacted my local Raiffeisen in Kanton Thurgau. At the moment they offer a 3% (6% is related to the past and a promotion number) return on the shares. I don’t know by now what the total of shares is that I can hold. Maybe I will have CHF 10’000 in Raiffeisen cooperative shares in a few month. My plan is to have 3% on a part of my emergency fund. Raiffeisen cooperative shares have a three-month lock before you can withdraw you money.

Greetings
Cutter

@Cutter Thank you for the precisions. 3% is still good in my opinion given the level of risk. I did not know about the 3 months lock. Maybe this is not ideal for an emergency fund, don’t you think ?

Greetings
Dago

@Dago Only a part of my emergency fund. The part that I need after 3 month. The risk is that I have to sell the Raiffeisen cooperative shares as soon as I might have to use this part of my emergency fund :slight_smile:

Greetings

Cutter