Postfinance lowers interest rates

As title says… they go from 0.05 to 0.025 for e-savings.

If you say goodbye to 100’000 CHF for 40 years with 0.025% interest, then it will yield a whopping… 1’000 CHF return. This “Sparkonto” probably only still exists because some people can’t count.

2 Likes

So from basically nothing to basically nothing. I like how on news portals like 20Mins the people got super upset about it and treatened switching banks or buying physical Gold. :smiley: As if investing 100% in a highly volatile, non-productive speculation object would be a wise decision.

4 Likes

well, if you consider that if you have this amount on your PostFinance account (or e-trading account) you will not pay any fees… for the accounts and cards, a decent online and mobile banking
in principle you get services instead of interests…

You will pay fees. You need to invest 25000chf to not pay fees.

1 Like

exactly, the op mentioned 100k

Does it really matter if it’s 0%, 0.25% or even 0.75%?

1 Like

No, it does not matter. I just wonder when can we expect a “savings” account to yield negative interest, like -0.5% and the current account e.g. -1.0%? :thinking:

1 Like

I think that they will just increase the fees.

2 Likes

I think the same. They will try to never start negative interest account. I expect the fees to continue to go up next year.

If interest start getting negative, a lot of people will start keeping some money at home which will serve nobody in the end. Or will invest more money (but most people don’t invest). Or will spend more money (likely).

1 Like

Or because it’s nice to be able to separate your emergency+yearl-tax funds out from day to day expenses, to avoid any accidental mistakes with your debit card/transfers/IT errors/etc.

And who really cares? Are you expecting banks to donate money to us just because we keep a Sparkonto? Have you looked at the SNB’s interest rates recently?

2 Likes
  1. keep money under mattress: what if they eliminate cash? Maybe not in Switzerland, but in some other countries? They already say that high nominals are “for criminals” and get rid of 500 or 200 notes. Then you will be forced to keep money at the bank and pay for it.
  2. invest money: that’s a win for the policymakers. they don’t want you to hold on to cash. with low interest rates, more people are pushed to more risky markets like bond or stock.
  3. spend money: again, that’s a win for them. the keynesian mindset says that consumption/spending fuels economic growth. if you spend money, you pay more tax, so the budget gets a cut.

No, I’m just describing how things look. With a savings account, your money is not readily available, you have withdrawal limits etc. And this used to mean a premium interest rate. But now the bank doesn’t want your money, cause it can get it from the central bank, and the central bank will even pay for it. It’s completely absurd.