Our energy consumption

Hello JdG,

Honestly your energy consumption does sound like very high. 150 CHF per month is huge! Are there some public services in your commune that help to analyze the energy consumption at home and decide how it can be improved? Never used anything like this myself, just saw some announcements.

1 Like

Heating is covered by Nebenkosten, so it’s not included in the electricity bill.

In Geneva, you could compare yourself with average consumption.
For a 2 bedroom flat with 60m2 for a couple without hot water nor heating, It will be 2000 kWh by year.

Sounds like you are heating with electricity. Not am (electric) heat pump like other suggested. On your Nebenkostenabrechbung, are there any heating costs mentioned?

About warm water: a boiler can be heaten up with several energy sources. Is the boiler im your apartment? Then it is most probably an electric boiler.

Both, your electric floor heatimg and your electric boiler are normally programmed to only work in the night.

Ah right.
When I was in a rented apartment, the electricity bill was around 100 chf every 3 month

I have a heat pump using electricity and also connected to a geothermal system.
During the coldest months the average weekly total consumption ( so including everything) is 140 kwh per week

Hello Dr.PI,

Thank you for the feedback,

I will try to find more information about it.

Hello,

When I signed the contract it was mentioned that the extra expenses would be CHF200 month which I believe was based on the comsumtion from the previous tenant, which is higher that what we are paying at the moment.

Apart of the proper rent I just pay to the landlord CHF50 per month for the water and building lighting and the contract of my apartment electricity is under my, therefore the bill is issued to me, which was CHF1.800 this last year.

I was not specially worried about it because I saw that all the rental add were showing similar “nebenkosten”

I feel like if I am not comparing the apples to apples 

Consumption-wise pretty stable, 2000kWh per year (fluctuates ±5% per year)

• 4.5 room ground floor flat, 110 sqm, floor heating and warm water is delivered via remote (Fernheizung) and is exclusive of the above
  • family of 3, thermostat at 24C (sorry, won’t move it :smiley: )
  • 1 person WFH since 2020 at least 4 days a week
  • all lights are LED and dimmable
  • always-on electrical cluster is faily minimal (router, NAS, Hue Hub, kitchen stuff)
  • 17-yo building with relatively new (A++) V-Zug devices
  • we cook and bake a lot (at least 3-4 times a week) with electricity (ceramic top, oven with air circulation)
  • I have a desktop with a large monitor that runs at least 6 hours a day on average

I smell a new flamewar here

In our last summary, we got a total of 6437 Kwh for 12 months:

• 5.5 rooms house
  • Old electric boiler
  • Relatively recent kitchen appliances
  • Electric floor heating in the veranda, but very rarely used
  • Remote heating, no electric costs here
  • Two persons at home 100%
  • Big consumer 1: one big computer with 3 large monitors
  • Big consumer 2: 3 servers running 24/7

We need to improve! We now have counters to see what takes most power and have already improve since June (last decompte from Groupe E) and hopefully will improve more by the end of the year.

It could be interesting to split that post into 2: one for 2023 and one for comparing energy consumption

4 Likes

For our 4.5 roome flat with two people, we used about 1900 kWh last year :

• oil heating, including warm water
  • very rarely : a bit of electrical heating (building is really old and cold sometimes)
  • WFH 2 days a week
  • old kitchen appliances + small freezer in the basement (which goes on our electricity bill)

I think that it is quite reasonable, I don’t know how we can push it down really

Just thinking and comparing the figures with company figures. Even if we(households) save a lot complexity is much harder to align and reduce consuption than target business.

one example is how many companies keeps its electrical infrastructure on during out of business hours.

You are factually correct, but the point of this discussion is to see where you stand compared to others.
Also it is Mustachian to reduce your cost of electricity to the lowest reasonable amount.

2 persons, WFH 70%, oil heating, boiler in apartment. Fairly new dishwasher, old fridge (replacement arrives soon). Tumble Dryer and Washing machine on our own account.
4100 kWh per year.

That’s about a 1000CHF on electricity alone.
Sure you don’t want to run this in your preferred cloud instance (Azure/GCP/AWS/DigitalOcean)?

6500 kWh is more than 3 times the cost of what we pay for our 4.5 flat for 2 adults and 1 kid.

2 Likes

Don’t lynch me, around 8’000 kWh here :sweat_smile::

• large 6.5 room new house
  • 2 adults and 1 child
  • 1 person 100% WFH
  • 1 person around 70% at home (pregnancy and part-time work)
  • everything electric (heat pump, boiler, etc.), no oil or gas
  • cooking 2 times a day on average

We pay around CHF 1’800 per year, which is high, but still way lower than my peers that pay for oil/gas heating and warm water.

I’m also expecting a way lower increase next year as electriyity costs here will “only” increase by around 12% compared to much higher increases in oil/gas prices.

It is a good amount if you include heating and hot water !
In my building, I spend 2180 chf a year in oil for the central heating system of 1 bedroom.

1 Like

It’s not nearly as much as 1000 CHF :slight_smile: We pay about 1300 CHF per year, and these servers are about 28% of the total consumption (I have a power meter before them).

But yes, going into a VPS (I also have those) would be cheaper, but these servers are a hobby for which I am happy to pay even though I am looking at optimization.

here my total consumption: 3500Kwh(2020) / 3900Kwh(2021) - about 900chf/year @0.20ct/kwh

• 5.5 rooms single family house (180m2)
  • 2 adults and 1 child
  • good insulation but not excellent. 22 years old building
  • Oil heating, including warm water (1800L/year) - 23°/winter
  • Old kitchen appliances and frequent usage
  • washing machine but without tumble dryer
  • One persons at home 60% + one at 20%

with heat pump that is normal. your yearly expenses are low, ~half mine

1 Like

Excellent thread!

I’m trying to figure out the consumption but it seems way too high.

• Two adults, 5.5 rooms (high sloped ceiling so not fully usable but big volume, top floor though)
  • Home Office near 100% for both since Covid
  • Rented apartment of recent construction (2016) in a building of 6 units
  • Centrally managed floor heating, it’s possible only to offset +/-2 degrees on the thermostat (not sure what temp. is set centrally, but seems always to be too warm for us, i.e. t-shirt also in winter)
  • I’m not sure what type of energy source they use centrally, oftentimes I see a truck coming to refill (oil? pellets?)
  • It’s advertised as Minergie, but it doesn’t seem very energy efficient so far (except they insist for you to keep your windows closed at all times and air circulation is very poor :frowning:)
  • Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Tumbler, induction cooking, maybe one PC as “heavy” user, all lights LED.

Seems they changed the heating provider in 2020 and we have been given a customer portal to check the consumption, I’m taking 2021 as representative since it considers the full 12 months.

This is the energy used for heating (and I guess warm water):

I don’t see any of the above values though in the bills that we receive once a year for common costs, they seem still to charge per sqm portion of the total building cost, instead of actual kWh usage.
Funny enough if I look on the portal at the breakdown of Sept. '21 vs. last month, the heating consumption is more than doubled from 31 to 74 kWh and we have been abroad most of the month (and of course everything closed and thermostats at minimum when we are not there).

This is the electricity which is billed individually instead (EKZ portal, not the same period but fairly representative):
we paid ~800fr. in 2021 for electricity, up from ~500fr. in previous years.

So, from all the above would our annual combined consumption of heating and electricity be a monstrous 8’500 kWh for two people? Perhaps I’m misreading something?

P.S.:
This is the water consumption:

1 Like