Online real estate valuation accuracy

Indeed, in Zurich it’s impossible. For buyers the yield (in the Zurich area) corresponds to the lowest-risk rate of government bonds: minus something :slight_smile: .

I would not say it’s THAT bad, I think I would get something around 2% if I were to rent out my house. And I only recently bought it, someone who bought a similar house in the same neighbourhood 10 years ago has a much higher yield now as prices went up significantly.

With the 2% do you mean the net rent, or the yield (net rent, minus insurances, property tax, average renovation costs (say 1%) and property management (if you are far away, you need an agency for that)) ?

I have to admit I never did the proper calculations, and I am not sure the price I assume for renting is correct. Anyway, I am only considering insurances (I look at what I pay, perhaps one needs to pay a different insurance when renting out?) and average renovation costs. Property tax and income tax on the rent will depend on one’s total income (actually, does one still pay eigenmietwert then? probably not, so property tax would be gone in that case). I have no idea what a property manager would cost, but being CH I am sure it’s going to eat up quite a lot of the yield.

According to proposals I received, a property manager is 5-6% of the rent. Then you add almost half a rent for a change of tenant (edit : If I remember well, it was written “4% of the annual rent” lol), and a percentage of contractor works for small interventions.

In my case, the bank could only say if the price was ok or not, but they never provided an actual evaluation.

Hi everyone,

At RealAdvisor we compute 3 models to estimate home prices based on 3 sources of data:

1. Online listings
  2. Historical transactions
  3. User generated

Models are generally very precise for standard objects between 500k and 3 million. On the other hand, Luxury properties and mixed-used properties have a much lower number of comparables.

@Giff we also provide an estimated rental price with each valuation.

Property managers will take from around 3-5% of your gross rental income.

We publish a quarterly report on prices for those interested: https://realadvisor.ch/en/blog/category/housing-market/barometer

The price atlas is also useful to get a better understanding of the market:

Hope that was useful

Disclaimer: I’m one of the founders of RealAdvisor

Why do you need people’s phone number to appraise a property?

1 Like

Cross-selling/data base feeding :grinning:

It‘s the nature of things. If a product is free, then you‘re the product.

3 Likes