New Moderation Policy

I like both the discussions and the financial info we can find in this forum. I like reading all your opinions but I don’t like when they are mixed up in the financial topics. There are many threads I read in the forum which had an interesting title but the discussions derailed into other things and no answer was really yield to the original question. “Other things” can be interesting too (they are for me) but they make it really hard to find the relevant posts for a specific topic.

In practice, how does splitting topics work? Taking the example of the child care thread, how can the discussions about raising children be moved? Does it require always a moderator to move all the posts? Or can participants just agree on that and move? Which messages should be moved? Should OP be consulted and agree with moving?

It would be great to not only agree on the guidelines but describe the required steps to adhere to it.

Thanks for proposing this change and looking after the forum @Julianek.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: [COFFEE] Should we ban P?

And if you don’t have enough time or don’t want to bother, why not assigning other moderators?

My opinion is still that we should not restrict freedom of speech but to apply self-discipline and organize our discussions better. If you see that you digress, don’t hesitate about starting a new thread. I understand that this is a personal finance forum, but over the years, relationships between forum members were formed. So if I know there are some smart guys here who think differently than I do, why shouldn’t I ask their opinion on some controversial topic? Just put in “Coffee” and don’t derail investing threads.

1 Like

I meant to have more moderators not for patrolling, but to have access to rights that would let them to be able to clean up, like splitting and merging topics.

Well, actually there is a way to give people these rights without making them mods. We can promote you from a Regular (trust level 3) to a Leader (level 4). Users at trust level 4 can…

• Edit all posts
  • Pin/unpin topic
  • Close topics
  • Archive topics
  • Make topics unlisted
  • Split and merge topics
1 Like

Perfect! I volunteer for now to do cleaning.

4 Likes

You have to enable it in your profile, in settings, user.

1 Like

I did block him but I still see the reply of other that pollute some threads. It will be interesting to hide some political threads as well

For what it’s worth I agree with the new moderation policy.
I’m also glad that the consensus seems to be to not ban people before they’ve had the chance to adopt to the new rules.