New immigration law and FI/RE

That’s only 46k per year, or 4k per month. That would have to cover:

2x health insurance and costs - let’s say CHF 700.
Rent, could easily be CHF 1500 or more depending on location.
Further money for life costs, including food, clothing, transport: tends to be set around 1k per per person per month.

There’s not much luxury in there.

I guess you missed my point. Why did the guy get this money? Did he really deserve it or found a way to abuse the system? I didn’t read into his story.

I was under the impression that you had to do military service before you were 25; so if you applied for Swiss Nationality when older than 25 you would have no obligations to do it/pay the tax. Is this not correct?

I think you have to pay until you are 37 or for a maximum 11 years, if you cannot do the service. But being older than 25 does not exempt you from the tax, it simply makes you unfit for service and forces you to pay.

Would be great to have some confirmation around this, I might try follow up with the head of naturalisation in my commune.

3% for 11 years would add up to a sizeable sum… or trade-off of taking 1 year out of a career. Neither is too appealing!

Depending on which country you are from there might be exemption treaties. For example you don’t pay anything if you are French.

I could not find anything about the country dependent exemptions at least not in written form.

But unless you are from one of these countries you definitely have to pay and they won’t tell you beforehand! My colleague simply got the bill after he was finished with naturalization

You can be exempted if you are from a country listed here: dual citizenship and Swiss army. With the neighboring countries, you can choose to do the service (or equivalent) there until you are 19. If you are older, the exemption only applies if you already accomplished service (or equivalent) in that country. What is considered equivalent is not the same for every country so you have to check if it applies for you.

Not entirely true. If you’re too old for military service, but of duty age, you can choose to do Zivilschutz. Most people choose to pay instead of doing Zivilschutz.

Die Teilnahme am Wirtschaftsleben oder am Erwerb von Bildung

Just enroll in some Hochschule that interests you. That was my backup plan anyway, in case life gets too boring without work. :sweat_smile:

There is 0 point in worrying about this and continuing this discussion actually. They will only act on your status if you collect benefits from ALV, IV or social security.

And even if they cared they would have to kick out a lot of people before they came for retirees.