AMEX Credit card from Swisscard with 1% cashback

Don’t know if this is usual practice but if you use LSV method as payement of the monthly credit card bill for swiss cashback cards, just noticed that they debit your account approx. 1 week before they send you the bill via their e-service portal… So no time to check the payments made with the cards before your account gets charged. Top card (Coop) and Cembra (Cumulus) send their bill before they debit your account…

2 Likes

A comment for people who might have these cashback cards.

I’ve been using them for a few months. All good, no issues. Then I started receiving messages telling me that they are retiring their web interface in favour of the Android/iOS apps. I don’t care, all good.

Issue is, I’ve noticed that one cannot export transactions via the app (say, for YNAB/Pocketsmith) so now I cannot do expense tracking anymore.

This seems like a stupid product decision. I’ve contacted them and got the typical “it’s on the roadmap… no i don’t know when it’ll be available”. So I’m thinking about canceling these cards altogether.

Any others with the same issue?

Look for the other post “Swisscard discontinues …”

1 Like

Yes it’s a bummer for me too. Maybe I’ll decide to pass on the cashback to have better control.

Yes, it’s especially annoying when they send emails along the lines of “soon it’s time - our desktop service is finally getting retired in favour of our great app :fireworks:”. Talk about putting make-up on a pig.

1 Like

Certainly a bummer, but as @ma0 pointed out, someone in the forum built a python script that extracts the info from the PDF and prepares it for import to an expense tracker. It worked for me.

See Swisscard discontinues their cardservice - #4 by schwamen50

1 Like

The negative part is that you must use an android/ios app. Also I wonder how many people have installed on the same device that receives the “security” sms…

1 Like

Is it really a security issue to use the same device? I could not imagine many people having a second device to only get those messages…

2 Likes

No, not really. From the App you can’t do much instantly. Maybe order a new card ?

Then I am not sure what you meant with your previous message.

Just because it’s a security theatre. They could have just asked for login/password. The sms doesn’t make it safer if it’s received on the same device. Bonus worse points if you are abroad or can’t receive sms.

3 Likes

Actually, looking at my cc statements I noticed I am only getting 0.25% from the visa, so I switched to using the cumulus. Man I should probably just have one card and forget about these Cashback peanuts.

5 Likes

Does anyone knows where to report the cashback amount on the tax report filling? Should be included as other income?

1 Like

It is not an income! You just spend less.

5 Likes

…within the boundaries of the law. So nothing crazy in asking questions to make sure the declaration is correctly filled.

6 Likes

I have applied to open a Cashback account but noticed that interest applies on " Taux d’intérêt annuel à partir de la date de comptabilisation", does this mean that we have an interest of 11.95% from the time of the transaction and not the time of payment? I thought we would have some time to pay the monthly bill before having to pay any interest (as for Cumulus Mastercard).
Many thanks for your inputs :slight_smile:

No. If you pay in time, you have no interest to pay. But if you don’t pay in full, the interest is calculated from the day of the transaction, not from the date the statement was issued.

4 Likes

Guys, I just got the Cashback cards and tried to top it up above the set limit (which is 3300 CHF), so I sent a bank transfer as it is stated here - Bank details – Services | Swisscard AECS

But the transfer seems to be rejected. I just see “Bank remittance” in transactions.

I have also Cummulus card and there I can simply top it up, so basically I never risk paying interest rate if I forget something.

How can I top up this Cashback card over 3300 CHF to be also on the safe side here?

Credit card companies do not like it, if you top it up. They are not a bank and cannot/may not accept plenty of CHF by each customer because of legal reasons. If it is a one, or lets say three time thing a year, they accept it, if you do not exaggerate with the amount.

Did you use the orange payslip which is provided by them?

Maybe you can contact them to increase the limit, e.g. 4k. With the app by Swisscard you will be able to track your „progress“ and stop, when you reached 3k in spending, for example.

If you are afraid that you might forget to pay, just put the minimum amount, not the maximum. The worse it can happen, the next month you have to pay less than 1 chf in interest.

Or don’t put anything at all, Swisscard will send you a 30chf bill, you call them and explain what happened and if you are a good customer, they will waive it (not the interest of less than 1chf though).
Just be nice. If you have bills around 3k chf every month I suppose you are a good customer.

Don’t bother for the interest, it usually cost you more the phone call than those interests.

2 Likes