Mustachian app(s)

there is a per scan cost. 8 cents.
Still not optimal.
The free software I know it’s not that good (tesseract)

0 Likes

In what way is it not so good ?

By the way, I just stumbled opon that Wiki page, I don’t know if that helps…

0 Likes

The results are not precise enough. It could be a good starting point, but then you have to do a lot of homework with AI probably.

I did try with a simple photo of a receipts and it was really hard to have a simple “description”-> “price” line.

You can try by yourself if you wish. Tesseract is easy to use.

0 Likes

Recently I discovered www.prozentbuch.ch

It’s a booklet or an app with discounts for a given city. It costs 50 CHF and gives you 2 for 1 deals at restaurants and other facilities. The deals are often limited to 30 CHF, but I still think it’s cool. If you like to check out restaurants with your partner on the weekend, this could easily save you a few hundred CHF per year.

1 Like

There’s tesseract if you want to roll your own OCR and as fonts on those low-quality paper/print receipts are usually very OCR friendly it should work just fine. Using the JS version of it is on the todo list for my own app. JS because I won’t want those receipts on my servers.

Austria has very pretty QR codes (alternatively urls) that give you a bunch of meta data in a easy to work with format.

1 Like

I did try tesseract and the result is still a mess. I tried with a picture taken from my phone, which is the use case I’d like to support.

0 Likes

On the battle field of smartphone cameras, bad lighting, too thin paper and shaky hands OCR will also have a hard time. And then there’s the questions how’s the data formatted, which number means what.

0 Likes

Well, as long as the data are 1 to 1 to what you see, it’s not hard to extract the information. The problem is really how to manage to have each line read correctly.

0 Likes

Just to throw in my 2 cents:

1. The Fork (or, la fourchette) - helps you save on restaurants in CH, FR, PT and other countries and it’s 100% free
  2. Todoist - for tasks, very good UI
  3. TWINT for fast free cashless payments
1 Like

I switched from Evernote to Bear App. The subscription is cheaper and the app is faster. Apple only though so not for everyone

0 Likes