MotleyFool subscriptions...worth it?

He wanted to point out why a good portfolio needs to include single stocks. I never heard that before and I work in the investment business for several years, so it’s definitely not common sense. That’s why I asked who said that and for an explanation why a good portfolio needs that.

5 Likes

I am happy there is good camaraderie on the topic.
Regarding portfolio discussions, we have other topics opened for that.
Just allow me say that last week the Deloitte consultant helping out on closing also introduced himself as having several years of experience in financial and investments business (he graduated in 2019).

Again, not to derail, everyone needs to find their own attitude and philosophy in investing.
Since someone asked for advice, I shared something that works for me, that I am sure wouldn’t work for everyone (took it for granted).
No one raised questions on the contributor that said it didn’t work for him/her. Clearly showing there is some bias.
Overall I would appreciate a more constructive tone in the discussions, as we are all here to learn and share.

I think our bia is toward the less expensive investing solutions and that we consider that more expensive ones (like paid subscriptions/newsletters) have the burden to prove their benefits (higher returns, lower risk, entertainment value and/or others).

I’ve been surprised too by the “a good porftolio [needs] a good mix of ETFs and stocks” comment. I would intuitively think that if I am confident I can reliably pick winning baskets of stocks (potentially with the help of a subscription), then I don’t need lesser performing index ETFs and if I can’t do such picks, then trying to do so only adds volatility and incertitude regarding my ability to reach my financial goals.

Feedback and datapoints is also part of what I feel we’re about (and the point of this topic) so I hope you’ll keep yours coming (even though we may differ on the conclusions to draw from it).

3 Likes

Have around 50k-100k aside from my ETF portfolio that I wanted to dedicate into individual stocks, once also confident on my own knowledge.
MF or Daubasses I was planning to have as a side kick / assistant service to help save time and give less stocks to analyse, sort of time saving shortcut. See what they recommend, do my own research, go with what I believe would be strong companies and not disappearing the next day or having a non sustainable business.

wow, thanks to everyone for jumping in and contributing to the topic.

I did not think it would get so much traction and seems there are quite different opinions when it comes to such topics. No one size fits all answer.

I was more curious about their 1999 USD subscriptions which I find a bit pricey (like the Value Hunter one). Not sure if they also provide value on par with such prices.
As I said, initially before getting all replies, was thinking that this would save me some time, then from the lists they send out I would have less stocks to analyse (than if I were to go on let’s say finviz.com and then start adding filters and then out of a long list I started going through accounting sheets, simplywall.st, valuations, business model, management, past stock market behavior and the list can probably go on into many directions).

Finding your own direction when it comes to stock picking seems not the easiest of journeys to take.

Nothing more valuable than discussing and feedback, agree that’s also what we are here for

I paid 99USD only for the Stock Advisor service.
There was an offer for the first year.
Full price is 199USD.
That’s more than enough for my needs

I say the polar opposite. A good portfolio has as few single stocks as possible. Exactly zero. There is very few people on the planet that can consistently pick winning stocks, that at least perform as well as the market year after year. Statistics have shown this ad nauseum already.

There are only so many Warren Buffets and Motley Fool for sure is not.

2 Likes