Mebs Intro / Journal (starting to invest, after bootstrap of company)

Medical related savings: Do you save that much every year and then spend it all at the end? I think you misplaced that. You should create a cushion and that’s it.

Oh I did propose countless times certain „workarounds“ :bacon::poultry_leg:. She does not think of it as that funny :grimacing:.

How big of a cushion would you think is appropriate? 5000.-? That could actually be included to the cash stash which @1000000CHF was talking about. But hard to tell how much is enough.

Most of the ideas here was to cut costs and be more frugal. My view would be, is there anything your wife and/or you like to do, so that this activity might be a small side hustle to earn money?

1 Like

You have credit cards and a job, all multiplied by 2. If something happens (finger crossed), you will have enough money/time to pay any bills with that. If you both fall ill (again finger crossed) then maybe you need a bit of cash, but remember that you will save some ant-eater money and also the fun money.

1 Like

You mean the ant eater riding don’t you? Oh how I love your thinking - that’s the entrepreneur approach and we are actually right on it. We have multiple initiatives in place that allow her to actually use her hobby as an income source as well. My goal is that the ant eater affection finances itself - or even yields positive returns by end of next year.

Well that’s true. Maybe I am/was a bit overcautious. That means that I actually could open a VIAC account and add the first 11.5k to it still in this year and lower my taxes for 2019 already. And then after filling it up a second time next year, I could start my investment in one or two good index funds.

The abattoir proposition is actually very funny, but I was referring to the 10% that you donate, presumably to a religious organisation. But, as they say: to each, his or her own.

Yeah what are these donations?

Ah I see :wink:
Like I said, that is not debatable. I grew up knowing, that just by living in Europe (especially Switzerland) we belong to the 1% of the richest world wide (with or without FIRE/especially good job/successful entrepreneurship). That’s why it is a habit of me to give away a fair portion of my money. I just think of it as being right, but I do not judge anyone who is not doing it, that is a very personal decision. The money goes to different organisations and individuals which serve both religious and non-religious purposes.

But: 3% of this money we save for giving it away as a gift when we come across someone/somewhat that is in need of it. As for now we saved 4.5k for that purpose. I’m thinking about if it would make sense to add that cash to the invested savings, and just keep a record of it. That seems like a better rational as just letting it on our account without interest.

let’s not dwelve in religious stuff here. No one is judging (I hope eheh)

Anyway, you should explain how you manage it, If you give the money away at the end of the year, you might prefer to invest it until that time, but if the market goes down you have to give less or take it from your other cash cushion.

Btw, your wife’s hobbies are taking a bigger chunk of your non-fix income. maybe you can use this in your favour since it seems you wanted to spend less on date nights :slight_smile: Split the “sacrifices”

You know, there isn’t much you can do with your budget, maybe instead of planning stuff, just do it.
Cumulus and Revoult can be done tonight. You just get the form from Cumulus online, fill it and send it. Revolut is even easier. Zak is similar, as long as you have a swiss/european pass.
Have fun picking your mobile abo. I bet your wife will need roaming (for the ant eater trips…)

1 Like

Anyway, you should explain how you manage it, If you give the money away at the end of the year, you might prefer to invest it until that time, but if the market goes down you have to give less or take it from your other cash cushion.

As I said 3% stashed. The rest monthly.

Split the “sacrifices”

That is a good one! We’ll certainly talk about it again anyway soon.

Cumulus and Revoult and Zak can be done tonight.

Did it immediately after my first post.

Mobile abo is next :+1:

2 Likes

have fun checking yallo.ch every day. They keep changing offers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had not check once :+1:.
New internet sub: 35.-/pM; unlimited internet speed for a life time, thanks to QoQa and awesome @_MP who sent the link via mailing list.

2 Likes

Glad if it could help! Too bad the it wasn’t the CHF29/m offer but the other isn’t too bad either. Enjoy!

I trade the 72 CHF/year against checking these offers all the time :wink: Like that I save 70.- per months compared to my sub atm! Awesome! :smiley:

1 Like

evey time I check qoqa.ch I see only very expensive and sometime useless stuff

For those interested (but if I see correctly only for Yallo customers):

1 Like