Marriage, sons and Taxes

Hi at ALL,

I’m new in the forum and I have a question about Swiss taxation.

I’m living with my partner. We are working in Geneva under Permit B status. We both are taxed at source, bareme code A0. In February 2019, my partner will give birth our first sons. We are not married.

My question is about the convenience of be married from a Swiss taxation point of view. Could somebody explain to me step by step a method to simulate the taxation in the case I will marry my partner?
Specifically, Which number I have to use (from my salary slips) to calculate the bareme tranche?

Thanks in advance,
Mat_Ley

BTW: Me and my partner don’t believe in marriage, so we will do it only for a mere economical prospective! :stuck_out_tongue:

It depends on Canton tax policy. Normally you can find tables with tax rates on Canton tax authorities website.

The same as you’re using now, just a different tax at source tariff for married w/ kids

BTW: Me and my partner don’t believe in marriage, so we will do it only for a mere economical prospective! :stuck_out_tongue:

Married or not, you already lost economically by having a kid in Switzerland - News Schweiz: Aktuelle Nachrichten & Ereignisse der Schweiz - 20 Minuten - if you separate now, you’re on the hook for more than half a mil in payments to your ex for that kid. Might just as well get married now.

1 Like

Thanks,
So If I use this method, I will be a vantage for us to get married since the column A0 is higher than the column B1 or C1. But I was reading the regulation of “impots a la source” of the Geneva canton and they mention that if the couple is not married, the AFC (Administration fiscale cantonale) could give the status of single parent to one member of the couple. As single parent, the fiscal treatment is H1.
Summarizing:

Married: both C1 fiscal treatment
Not Married: One member A0, second member H1.

The second condition seems to me more economically favourable, but unfortunately I cannot understand own the mechanism to obtain the H1 status works…