Manage salary and expenses during 4 months in the US

Another advantage of TD bank was that when I was mailed the tax reimbursement paper check from the US government in Switzerland I could deposit it by simply taking a picture :slight_smile:

How did it work? I never got it back but the amount was not much

Hi guys, so there is nothing special they proposed me; I think following to what you’ve suggested, I will open a student bank account somewhere and close it later

Hi guys,

So in the end, I will be paid after my stay. Of course, I cannot use Revolut IBAN-BIC information in their system, only bank account information from US banks or 
 using checks.

The last option sounds the best because I will not be able to close the US account otherwise. However, are you aware of any way of converting this check into USD (or CHF) without huge fees in Switzerland? the amount should be ~10k$.

What about Wise’s borderless account? You get US bank details and you do not need to be in the US for that. Sure you will pay a small fee when withdrawing the money but it seems worth it in your case.

Hum, I have not thought of that. Wise’s borderless account is the same as those available in Wise? I did not finish setting up my account (I have to wire 20.-), but if you are sure I will have US bank details (i.e., Routing number and all of this), it should be a good option then!

I see that receiving money from ACH is free, so that is a good point. Then send 10k$ to a bank account in CHF cost 53$, which is not bad. Is there any fee from Swiss banks on top, or nothing as it is a CHF payment?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it was called “borderless account” before TransferWise got rebranded as Wise. I was not up to date :wink:

You get this:

And indeed ACH payments are free, otherWise (Wise!) it’s $7.50.

No fees from Swiss banks to receive incoming CHF.

Awesome! They even require ACH, so that’s perfect!

Thanks! I don’t know why I haven’t thought of Wise; thought it would have the same limitations as Revolut.

Then problem solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes