Long term investing in Cryptos

Bond and real estate are typical store of value. See how Chinese are purchasing real estate in Vancouver or Russian in London to escape their governments.

No idea if it is 1% or 10% of the market, but if you think about the difficulties linked to purchasing a house vs btc, I have no doubt bitcoin will take some value from these markets. And we are talking about trillions again.

Also, 100k this year seems a “when” and not an “if”. For this year I could see us above $160k

1 Like

A fall to 10k seems unlikely but agree that a fall to previous ATH of 20k is certainly a possibility. Just that I think that 100k are a lot more likely (and much closer to achieve on a log scale). Mostly that sentiment comes form a combination of strong personal bias, institutional investments, the stock-to-flow model, massive injection of M1 money supply due to COVID support packages, general trends of loss of trust in central institutions and digitalization, and performance comparisons from 2013 and 2017.
Still a very risky investment but having been invested in BTC since early 2017 I see the possibility of BTC having achieved “escape velocity” and the growing impact of network effects. As an asset it has passed the first test of time and frankly has performed flawlessly and very close to prediction for nearly 12 years. There’s no visible reason for that to change in the next 3-5 years, on the contrary, many of the trends and developments seem to support the case for BTC.

1 Like

Just to comapare the numbers a bit.

Market Cap Crypto global > 2,2 Trillion $
Market Cap Bonds (only US) > 40 T $
Market Cap Gold > 11 T $ (different sources between 9-14 T)
Market Cap Apple (biggest comany) > 2,2 T $

2 Likes

That literally went much quicker, than I did expect. Current ETH price is 3’200.

7 Likes

Still super happy with my portfolio performance :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I didn’t say I’m perfect or it’s flawless.
That said, I’m calling out bullshit when I see it.

This guy says it better than I could. (Though he has a much more polite delivery than I do).

So how is that going for you now? I ask because I entered the crypto market and then it went all to nirvana by like 30% xD

1 Like

This is a roller-coaster. Be aware that such situation happen very often. Try to stay calm and and always keep some Tether in place for such market dumps. So that you can buy when the market loses 30% and you can buy in cheaply.

1 Like

I haven’t sold any BTC, ETH, LINK, XRP, DOT. Some good performing coins like ADA and SOL converted some part to BTC or ETH, but sill have some of them. As I’m 99% invested I just add the rest from my paycheck.

I’m still ca. 800% up on my portfolio since last year.

This time I’ll sit everything out. I did the mistakes the last 2 bullruns to sell everything quite early. My plan for profit taking starts at 140k BTC. (even if it takes 3 more years to reach that).

1 Like

How do you decide which coins you want to keep longterm?

What sw do you need?

1 Like

BTC and ETH are set for me mostly because of market cap. 85% to 90% of my holdings.
The rest if a project is interesting and in use or very promising and in top 10 or 20 regarding market cap. (8 to 9%).
And 1% pure speculation.

1 Like
1 Like

So you would look at 50/50 BTC/ETH as a decent longterm crypto position?

More 60/40… here I’m willing to exchange some ETH for BTC after a super run of ETH.

It is good to have some members which are “longer in the game” with cryptos.

With this huge volatilities, as a newbie it is hard not to sell when you have the whole cryptomarket dropping like the last couple of days.

I am happy I started buying gradually from October 2020 and not in April 2021. Thanks to that I am still in positive territory with my returns.

I will do that for the next dump. Keep some cash to buy when the market drops, this would lower a bit the volatility. How much du you have in cash? I was thinking maybe 10% for opportunistic rebalancing.

This is totally personal decision how you construct your (crypto) portfolio. Usually you have some part in long term investments, some part in trading and some cash (to react to red candles). Any long 4h candle is nice to buy. So at least 10% to rebuy is a good thing.

The crypto market is heavily directed by whales in one or the other direction. They can’t buy normally for 200m in the spot market without pumping the price x massive. So they drop first the BTC market (in consequence the alt too), but set lower buy orders in place. So that when the panic starts people are selling into their laps.

Right now I am in mainly in cash, because don’t know where the market will go. And any drop might cost you 20% of your portfolio, so I don’t want to lose my profits I gained before.

1 Like

btw. on blockfi you get roghly 10% APY for stacking theter…

1 Like

I buy projects with strong fundamentals and less than $10M marketcap, ideally that I can hodl, stake and compound.

I don’t buy a lot, mostly the best or / and first mover of its category so I got 7 coins/tokens.

I don’t buy btc, eth or anything already in the top 10 (not even top 100 honestly :smiley: ) because the best you can expect is a x10, I am looking for >100x