Long term investing in Cryptos

1 Like

So you would look at 50/50 BTC/ETH as a decent longterm crypto position?

More 60/40… here I’m willing to exchange some ETH for BTC after a super run of ETH.

It is good to have some members which are “longer in the game” with cryptos.

With this huge volatilities, as a newbie it is hard not to sell when you have the whole cryptomarket dropping like the last couple of days.

I am happy I started buying gradually from October 2020 and not in April 2021. Thanks to that I am still in positive territory with my returns.

I will do that for the next dump. Keep some cash to buy when the market drops, this would lower a bit the volatility. How much du you have in cash? I was thinking maybe 10% for opportunistic rebalancing.

This is totally personal decision how you construct your (crypto) portfolio. Usually you have some part in long term investments, some part in trading and some cash (to react to red candles). Any long 4h candle is nice to buy. So at least 10% to rebuy is a good thing.

The crypto market is heavily directed by whales in one or the other direction. They can’t buy normally for 200m in the spot market without pumping the price x massive. So they drop first the BTC market (in consequence the alt too), but set lower buy orders in place. So that when the panic starts people are selling into their laps.

Right now I am in mainly in cash, because don’t know where the market will go. And any drop might cost you 20% of your portfolio, so I don’t want to lose my profits I gained before.

1 Like

btw. on blockfi you get roghly 10% APY for stacking theter…

1 Like

I buy projects with strong fundamentals and less than $10M marketcap, ideally that I can hodl, stake and compound.

I don’t buy a lot, mostly the best or / and first mover of its category so I got 7 coins/tokens.

I don’t buy btc, eth or anything already in the top 10 (not even top 100 honestly :smiley: ) because the best you can expect is a x10, I am looking for >100x

Just for clarification: are you sure about the $10M MC? Checked on CMC, and coins with MC lower than $10M are starting around rank 920.

What are you criteria for strong fundamentals? I assume you are talking about tokenomics mainly.

How do you decide which coin has a first mover advantage or is the best? From what I have seen (spending a good amount of time in the last two months digging deeper into the rabbit hole) is a lot of shilling and scams.

99.9% of projects wouldn’t need a token at all. So even if you decide for “the best” coin, how do you judge if this coin is going to be successful? The best tech doesn’t help you at all, if the coin you bought is not getting price action. Meaning some scammy shitcoins which are being shilled by CT and some Youtubers might increase 100x, while you are sitting on our “best tech” coin which is not doing anything.

To clarify: I’m not criticizing. I’m really curious about your decision making process. What you check, how you do your due diligence, how you estimate the 100x for a certain coin?

1 Like

Fundamentals : tech and utility first, then team, then tokenomics.

First of all I let someone else do most of the job : I use an exchange which has a great track record and list few projects they want to work with (I won’t name it as I was told it was shilling).

Then I do my research on them tech and team wise, and a lot of telegram or discord.

I invest in 3-5 projects mostly, all in different markets (data analysis, L1, interoperability, exchange token…)

I buy something with utility and hold. Don’t care about shillers and youtube scam, believe in it and wait for the price action (some got it, some didn’t yet, I hold).

2 Likes

I just checked the other thread. Thanks for your input. I’ll have a look at it. I don’t think that what you did was shilling (geez, unless you have a commission from the CEX you don’t have any benefit), but it is what it is.

Interesting approach to let others due some filtering first, and then only select a few projects. I like your approach!

You said in the other thread that you have beein using the CEX from 2020. After Q3/2020, crypto was a bull market. Are you willing to share how much you made on your picks in the last 2 years?

How can you read it? I thought I deleted it :thinking:
No I’m not payed, I didn’t wrote my referal link because I don’t want to shill haha.

Yes part of it is because I started in Sept 20, at the right moment.
I invested around 20k (mostly from Sept 20 to May 21) and got over 1 million in Nov 21, less now but still high 5 figures. I am looking for passive incomes more than anything so I don’t sell, even during bull market (probably not the best strategy but it’s safe).

2 Likes

Congrats on your achievement! Sept 20 was almost the best time to invest in cryptos again. Unfortunately I didn’t, because I was still licking my wounds from 2018 and 2019. A friend of mine told me in July 2020 that it’s time to invest in BTC again now. Didn’t believe him (insert experiences from 2018 here). Guess what: he became a millionaire in May last year.

Passive income plays can be tricky. A lot of the passive node stories are also just outright scams (Wonderland, Klima, HEC). Strong was holding up well, but also got heavily rekt in the last weeks.

I think it’s better to go check for potential 50x or 100x coins, than to play the passive income plays. At least during the current market conditions.

Fortunately, another user copied it and posted it again (here)

I am careful with my staking, I choose protocols with a sustainable yield (5-10%) and if higher only based on treasury and limited.

I often read that it’s too low for crypto but I don’t fall for super inflationary and rugs, crypto doesn’t mean that basic economic principles disappear

Ok thx I don’t get how this forum works ^^

Why not take some profit off the table to secure a bag? You can still have a serious amount of secured money and a huge position still in crypto to continue growing (especially if you are looking for x100) and basically eliminate all the risks has you will have already totally elminiate your original risk. What is your mindset that push you to hold no matter what, and what is your strategy to take profit at any given time?

Just wondering.

I should take some profit yes, probably a mistake.
Most of my stack is staked so I don’t touch it, and I think that holding is more secure than trying to pick the highs and lows.
My strategy is to live on passive incomes so I plan to only sell my interests.
I have right now between 2 and 10k / month in interests, not stable enough.

1 Like

Buy/hold/sell the imminent ETH merge?

Smart move would be to sell.
…unfortunately I’m not smart.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I don’t own any Eth :sweat_smile: it seems like a sell the news type of event

Owning ETH is much too dangerous now even after shilling from Arthur Hayes. Like other POS coins ETH will gradually go down within the next months, my opinion. Staking ETH seems quite reasonable to me at the moment but the future of ETH after the Merge is absolutely unclear.