Leasing a car or buy it with cash

Totally. CHF 150 for the garage at home, CHF 150 for the garage at work, gas/electricity, insurance, taxes, tyres, services. The difference in driving a 15 years old VW Polo and a new Tesla Model 3 isn’t even that big, especially with 35-40k km/year. Cars are just expensive in general.

But driving a new Model 3 is just way more fun :smiley:

9 Likes

@Bojack did you end up getting a Model Y? how did you finance this?

Hi, no I’m still renting the model 3. I wanted to wait until Berlin is producing cars with 4680 batteries, structural battery packs & front+rear casting. It looks like it might happen by the end of the year. And then add the 3-6 month wait on top of that. Plus the ever rising prices… if I do decide to buy, it’s gonna be either a loan or a leasing. But I’m a bit lost, I was expecting prices to go down :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Btw right now 1 Tesla costs as much as 100 TSLA. I guess it’s smarter to put the money in the latter, if you don’t really need a car.

1 Like

It seems that our Model 3 LR will be delivered next week. Horizon Leader (the ship it’s on) arrived today in Slowenia.

1 Like

haha brilliant!

I am planning to get a Y LR after the summer break but this info on the Berlin manufacturing is interesting… and it might make me reconsider when I order mine as I have no real urgency. Where did you see these details on the Berlin factory? Curious to learn more (I don’t even know what are 4680 batteries)

Oh, Twitter and Youtube. Currently Tesla is using the 2170 battery, provided by external suppliers. That is 21 x 70 mm. The 4680 is a bigger cell, 46 x 80 mm. The promise is, that this cell will be more energy dense. Tesla will also glue the cells together, and this hexagon shape will support itself, eliminating the need for the underbody frame. All this should reduce weight, improve handling. Tesla produces the 4680 in-house, but I guess they will also license it to other battery producers. It’s still very early in the lifecycle process, so we don’t know how soon the promises made by Tesla can be met. I think the non-nerdy kind of people will not even know there is a difference.

2 Likes

By the time those batteries are being mass produced the Model Y might cost 10-15k more if this trend continiues.

Then it’s just not the time for buying cars. I am anyway pressed for cash recently. I got my tax bill for 2019 and 2020 short after one another.

We might be approaching this “saddle”, where ICE car sales plummet, because most people want their next car to be an EV, but not enough EVs are being made, so their price skyrockets. So for a few years there will be a slump in total car sales, until EV production ramps up. This could take until 2025. But eventually we need to see lower prices. EVs are eventually “simpler” to make, once you provide enough raw materials and build the factories.

2 Likes

Consider ordering the car at current prices and delay the delivery