Is it stupid to consider this apartment given my situation?

Go move in. Silver coast (I guess?) is not getting cheaper and supply of flats is virtually non-existent.

In 3-5 years you can earn 150k+ and the GF might also tap into 100k+ territories. But rents will not get raised :wink:

It’s super important to be content and happy with the place you’re spending half of your days. Otherwise it goes against your productivity.

4 Likes

Why not, if reference interest rate increases?

That’s a possibility, yes. Even though I’m a bit skeptical given how pressured the whole market is - average rents have been falling sharper than the base rate for the last 5 years. If suddenly everyone’s rents would be raised by, let’s say, 10% that might be a systemic risk to the whole economy.

Do you know how close are the SNB base rate tied to reference rates for rents (namely, we should’ve gotten a raise already some weeks ago, but we still didn’t)?

The reference rates for rwnts are not based on the SNB rates, they are based on the average mortgage rates.

Here’s a document describing how the average mortgage rates are calculated → https://www.bwo.admin.ch/dam/bwo/de/dokumente/04_Mietrecht/42_Referenzzinssatz/berechnung_des_hypothekarischendurchschnittszinssatzes.pdf.download.pdf/berechnung_des_hypothekarischendurchschnittszinssatzes.pdf

The reference rate for rents hasn’t changed since end of 2019. It’s lags behind the mortgage rates. This is due to the rates being calculated on all mortgages, which includes a large portion of long running fixed mortgages with older rates.

2 Likes

Good idea!

I got lucky this summer and scored a place with geho.ch in Manegg after a little less than a year on the (free!) waiting list. If you can live with (some) train noise it’s great and the lake is still less than 10 minutes away. I’m surrounded by families with little kids but wouldn’t actually know if it weren’t for the dozens of prams downstairs. The soundproofing is excellent. There should also be a bunch of non-Genossenschaft apartments becoming available down the street next year at “ZHIL” but IDK about the noise level coming from the motorway on three sides of the building…

2 Likes

Well, in this case you care about rates in the place you live, as you can’t diversify it :rofl:

1 Like

Somewhat off-topic here, but that Manegg quarier looks awfully crowded, and even though the buildings are solid, they all have about 1 side that is liveable, and 3 sides that are facing the trains/motorway/north/other buildings.