Interactive Brokers for dummies

I have currently the same issue while trying to get my monthly rate of VT. @Patirou has it worked afterwards for you?

Yes basically I traded CHF->USD on day 0, on day 1 I could buy my shares of VTI/VXUS.

Same here for me.
I was told from IBKR that I would have to wait 2 working days for the settlement of the trade. I have replied to them that in the past used to work on day 1 and I am currently waiting on their reply.

1 Like

I bought VT 2 min after converting CHF to USD

1 Like

Same for me I always convert and buy directly afterwards. Have never gotten this message that cash needs to settle first with a cash only or margin account.

3 Likes

Hey guys. Maybe a dumb question. But how do I know whether I have an Interactive Brokers US or UK account?
This wasn’t very obvious to me at account opening.
Thanks

When I’m logged in, my URL reads -interactivebrokers.co.uk

2 Likes

In the mobile app: Account Management→Activity Statements→Run

The top of the statement says:

Interactive Brokers (U.K.) Ltd.

Level 20 Heron Tower, 110 Bishopsgate, London EC2N 4AY, UK. Regulated by FCA

3 Likes

Something I could not figure out yet about FX conversion:

Is it possible to attach a limit order to a currency conversion?
As in an FX trade order?
Like in, I want to convert 10000 CHF to EUR as soon as the EUR:CHF rate is 1.10?

Given that it’s an FX broker (not just conversion), of course you can do any kind of order.

Just as a side note, if you are living in Switzerland, you can’t open an account with IB US.

1 Like

As a citizen? :flushed:

Not even if you live in the U.S.?

You are right, citizen was the wrong word. I adjusted my post.

1 Like

Right so you would automatically be redirected to a UK opening process of located in Switzerland

1 Like

I would say so
 but how?

Well well, how easy can it be
 many thanks!

Does anyone know how much time it takes until dividends become available for trading on IB? IB tells me I got dividends from VT, but there’s no cash available yet.

VT dividend payable date is 24/06, so you couldn’t have gotten them yet. As soon as proceeds hit your account on payable date, they are available for trading

4 Likes

It is written in Activity report, section Dividends.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Hope some day I’m going to be able to live off my dividends :grin:

1 Like