Interactive Brokers for dummies

Good luck! Look some of the answers I got:

Could you please use the TWS for trading until our developers check the problem?"

"When you have these issues in the Client Portal, the trade button is active? The symbol lookup is visible?

And so on… I told them several times that I’m engineer and I have a huge background in IT, networks, etc. Just to avoid those kind of questions/answers but I’m sure that either is a bot answering or they send just canned responses.

Probably, I’m just guessing… Since they started the IB-LITE more and more people are using simultaneously the Client Portal because they cannot use the TWS and they where not ready for the increasing connections/clients.

Regards.

I went to level 2 support, and now with developers. There is hope, I sent the log files…we’ll see.

Hello,

I use Interactive Brokers as an online broker.
I would like to buy Japanese stocks but unfortunately I can’t manage to exchange my base currency which is CHF into JYP.

Indeed, I had no problem to buy American shares in USD using the procedure below (MP):

1. convert CHF into USD
  2. use the converted USD to buy shares in USD

Can you explain to me why I can’t convert CHF to JYP?
Indeed, when I enter JYP in the IB search, I don’t have IDEALPRO - Forex displayed (for USD conversion I use DEALPRO - Forex), I only have as option Japanese yen - IDEALPRO: futures or Optioo on futures.

Thank you in advance.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hi @LaSturne,

Gosh I’m late with finishing my epic guide.
The trick is to type CHF.JPY and click on sell. It’s not technically possible to buy JPY.CHF.

I can’t remember the details that the IB support explained but it works without any issue this way.

2 Likes

Currencies are quoted in currency pairs - just “one way around”, yet there’s no way of knowing which one, as they follow (historical) convention.

2 Likes

but you can trade usd.chf & chf.usd, right? so what gives?

1 Like

Yesterday and today I tried to buy some VT shares (USD available). However, IB doesn‘t execute my order. Other shares and etfs I bought without issues.

IB doesn‘t show me all the (delayed) market data for VT. I assume it‘s a temporary problem with VT?!

Yesterday was a public Holiday in the US, today the US-markets are not open yet. That’s it.

1 Like

Oh I see, haven‘t thought about this. Thanks.

What do you think about this idea: I want to use IB, but I think I only want to invest around 50000 USD at the moment.

In order to ‘avoid’ the management fees for investment amounts below 100,000 USD, you could now invest an additional 50000 USD in ETFs that are low-risk or have very low volatility.

Does anyone have a tip for such ETFs?

I don’t think I understand your question.

Are you asking about the platform (“avoiding mgmt fees” for <100k) or which specific ETFs to choose with low-risk/volatility?
The two seem uncorrelated to me.

Also, is “at the moment” == year 2020 or next 15 years?
Because IB makes very much fee-sense below 100k too in most cases; and you might want to think longer-term about the platform choice too.

Edit: Upon second read I think I get it - you would somehow “find” another 50k to invest with the first 50k, but want it to be something less “risky”?
I guess some bond ETFs could fall into that, but their yields are probably crap.
Or you can just keep 50k cash. :grin:

Hi,

I’m having money “parked” in AGG (BND is more or less the same but pays quarterly.
You have a complete list of bonds here: https://etfdb.com/etfdb-category/government-bonds/

Now, AGG is paying monthly and giving me around: 2.7% annual, but if you buy now is around 2.5% annual.

TLT is another, more stable but gives you only: 1.7% annual.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Great forum and blog, thanks MP and all of you for all the valuable information!

Since I’m spending a lot with my postfinance trading account, I really wanted to move with Interactive Brokers.
I filled every details of the registration in an honest way and my application was approved.
But then I got a request to fill an additional Form 407 stated below.

Since I’m working for a Bank I’ve to ask to my compliance department an approval letter to open my account!
Personally I think this is a bad requirement, I don’t want to mess with my employer.
In our internal regulation we are allowed to do trading with some limits (when trading company stocks, on some structured products,…).

Anyone else with experience as a worker of banks/financial institutions?

## Why am I required to disclose my employment with a financial institution?
Rule 407 of the New York Stock Exchange prohibits a member organization (i.e., IB) from opening a securities or commodities account or executing any transaction for an account in which an exchange member, employee associated with another exchange member or member organization or an exchange employee is directly or indirectly interested without prior written consent of the employer. The rule also requires IB to promptly submit to the account holder’s employer duplicate account statements and confirmations.

Applicants who designate employment or affiliation with another broker are required to submit a Rule 407 letter containing the email address of their organization in order to provide notification and consent to the employer and for the purpose of transmitting statements and confirmations. If the employment is with a financial institution and no such Rule 407 letter is submitted, IB’s Compliance Department will typically contact the applicant in order to confirm that Rule 407 does not apply.
source

Depends on the bank.

The big ones tend to force you to trade with them with some kind of employee discount on the fees. Others will require that you sign a declaration promising not to manipulate the market or use insider information and produce the statements of your brokerage accounts upon request. Finally, some will require you to explicitly declare which trading accounts your own and where and the specific details.

This applies not only to the accounts you own but also the accounts you have a power of attorney on.

Great, thx for the info. I wasn’t aware that cash is credited to the 100’000 USD.

Hey guys

Are there any problems using the app currency converter since those are market orders instead of limit orders, e.g. would it be possible that one pays significantly too much for a currency trade using the in-app market based converter?

Hello everyone,
Order Typ
similar to Merlins question, what Order Typ do you use for buying VT via IB while you are away from the computer? Any experience with the MidPrice Aglo Order?
I currently use the the Limit function - which means sometimes my oder does not go through.

Automatisation
Also, I wonder if there is a possibility to auto-invest, eg. automatically transferring CHF to IB every two weeks, automatically translating that to USD and buying VT using the market price. However not sure if that is too risky.

Pricing structure:
Furthermore i have a fixed pricing plan for stocks,ETFs - I have been told that is best for only buying VT and converting CHF to USD.

Can we stop using this post for questions that are way above the newbie level?

Hello everyone!

I often receive a mail from IB Trading Assistant saying:

Margin cushion: X% remaining

Do you know what does it mean? Is it normal that I receive this mail?
I open two months ago my account and I invested only in VT at the moment.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sounds like you have been buying VT on margin.
Did you convert your CHF to USD before buying VT?

1 Like