Interactive Brokers for dummies

I don’t disagree with you, I was just explaining my train of thought (before he mentioned the amount).
Left or right, if you have foreign currency that is not EUR stuck in Switzerland, you are doomed :slight_smile:

To add a data point for those that are interested:
-NOK Payment was executed on 13.11
-Funds were available in IB today early morning, i.e less than two banking days
-99,97% of the announced amount arrived
-Transaction costs: NOK 51.08 = CHF 5.14.
-Admittedly, payment was executed with BEN-Instruction, i.e. IB to bear the costs.
(it‘s possible that UBS charges more but this is only visible at the end of the month; will report if more fees have been charged)

1 Like

Hello All,

I am receiving two strange notifications from IB during the last days:

1. IWM up more than 2%
  2. Margin cushion 0.93% remaining

I mean I have an account with about 7k invested in shares and ETFs and about 70-chf remaining in my portfolio for the maintenance / account / transaction fees. Thought would be fine for about 6 months by considering an average of 10-chf per month charges?

Also what about the IWM up more than 2%

Is there any action that I need to take for the aforementioned two messages or any risk to get my whole portfolio liquidated soon?

Thanks a ton in advance all for your answers,
Br

1 Like

You randomly get notifications when your positions perform well or poorly, nothing to worry about.
Concerning the margin warning, do you have a margin account? Did you buy your ETFs on margin?
If not, then I guess you can disregard this warning.

What do you mean If I buy my ETFs on margin?
I mean my account should be of margin type and less than 10k…

By buying on margin I mean borrowing money to buy your ETFs (which you cannot do if your account is not of margin type).

Maybe this post can help.

Okay, so I just checked my account is of cash type.
I never intended to borrow money from IB to buy ETFs/Equities. Is this the correct account type for my profile?

I didn’t quite get how the margin requirement is being calculated from IB, but I guess that shouldn’t bother me as far as I am not borrowing money, right?

Yes it sounds like you are doing fine.

You can customized the notifications you receive. I.e. set a higher margin cushion or change the treshold of up/down movement of your positions. You can also switch it off entirely.

IB has now a few times deleted the content of my watchlists. Did anyone else encounter this too?

Happens usually when I search for a symbol and then press the watchlist button (beside Buy & Sell buttons) in the portal.

Anyone knows how to restore old watchlists?

… I also encounter problems with my watchlists: They get duplicated for no reason. Maybe it’s that I use TWS and WebTrader… switching from one to the other - and there is a duplicated watchlist.

What clients do you use?

1 Like

Hi everyone

To start well into 2021, I decided to switch from Postfinance to IB, for obvious reasons. I started the registration process but when I need to choose the customer type (individual). They tell me that they don’t open accounts for Swiss-based customers anymore (see screenshot). Any input on what I could do?

Have you tried creating the account from the UK portal?

https://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/home.php

Just did that (was a bit of an issue since the site kept forwarding me to interactivebrokers.eu but with a bit of tinkering I managed). Sadly, it didn’t help. Guess I’ll contact support today to ask what’s up.

Update: They “need to check this internally”. Will keep you updated.

Maybe try: https://www1.interactivebrokers.com/

I don’t think it’s their website.
I think they deliberately disabled onboarding for Swiss-based individuals, for compliance reasons.

Friend asked the support, Swiss-based individuals can still open an account.

1 Like

Hi Voodoo - I am having the same issue currently and cannot open an account.

I suspect they changed a few things as of 1 January 2021 with Brexit and account migration for the rest of Europe.

Switzerland appears unavailable both on IB UK and IB EU.

I am unable to reach customer support unfortunately but if you hear from them let me know.

1 Like

That didn’t work either…

The list of supported countries includes Switzerland… Could be that they didn’t update it yet.

Will do! So far they told me that they need to check this internally and asked for a contact e-mail address. Now I’m waiting.

I finally got an answer from the chat support and they said it’s a technical issue that is expected to be fixed within 1-2 business days.

1 Like