Increasing ordinary Pillar 2 contribution = less taxes?

Sorry, meant to say effectively not.

While that might technically work, I’m not sure if it should have a place on the forum.

With the way you phrase it, it‘s a pretty straight suggestion for tax avoidance, if not fraud (deliberately stating something that‘s not true - cause a 1-month tourist isn‘t resident).

You’re right, I don’t know about legality. I know one guy who did it, though. But if it is legal, then it’s tax avoidance, and why should it not belong in this forum? Rich people pay men in suits big money to be “consulted” on legal ways to save on taxes, but simple forum dwellers are not allowed to discuss it?

3 Likes

Why withdraw 2nd/3rd pillar accounts early when dividends aren’t taxed as income? Has anybody made the calculation if it’s worth it to keep it invested in Viac/ValuePension after leaving CH vs. withdrawing it early and reinvest it in IBKR?

2 Likes

You can’t keep a 3a account after leaving Switzerland as far as I know. Furthermore depending on your new country of residency, it might not be tax free anymore.

You absolutely can. 3rd pillar accounts till 65 and 2nd pillar accounts till 70.

1 Like

You seem to be right, no need to take the money. However depending on your new country this accounts might not be tax sheltered anymore, (and same for the second pillar). I guess this necessitate a thourough analysis of the relevant double taxation agreement…

4 Likes

Though I bet most european countries would at least recognize pillar2 as tax sheltered (and likely 3a as well).

There’s probably a EU or OECD framework to guide those, and typically if it wasn’t taxed as income when contributing it’s considered sheltered.

This is a very good point. If someone has done the math, please contribute.

1 Like

The rule of thumb is:

For long terms, contributing to the second pillar saves money because you trade X years of income tax payments for just 1 capital withdrawal tax payment. The more years you avoid income tax, the greater the benefit of contributing to the second pillar.

For short terms, you have to compare the income tax savings to the capital withdrawal tax you will pay. In most cases, the capital withdrawal tax is slightly lower, but this varies between cantons. In most cases, for terms of just 1 year it is pretty much a zero sum game.

You might reduce your tax bill but then you might not be able to (easily) get your money back. It depends where you go to and lots has been written about it (also here).