How to Send Money to Your Interactive Broker's account for free

Thank you Alex. It seems that transfering USD to IB from a Swiss account cannot be done at no cost. For CHF, it works. Anyway, I had to do a single transfer of USD to IB and will not have to do it again hopefully. From now on, only transfer of CHF.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be bad to extract the IB transfer info to an individual topic.

3 Likes

I think it’s actually good material for a blog post (or guest blog post) at @_MP’s blog.

1 Like

@1000000CHF thanks for the mention. I thought about it too :wink:
Until end of August, I focus on finishing the French translation of the blog. I will treat it afterwards.

1 Like

did anyone attempt to transfer non-CHF funds?
when i want to wire EUR,
i am referredto some german IBAN. any experiences?^^

1 Like

Yes I’ve done it a couple of times.
It goes through sepa -> should be quite cheap.
I’ve paid 2 eur through Swissquote and 0.3 eur through Migros Bank.

1 Like

SEPA is free at postfinance

1 Like

I can confirm now the € 100 arrived with no losses
yey :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it these 2 CHF per transfer from Postfinance that we are talking about saving?

Does the total fee of 2 CHF apply independent of the transferred amount?

Not only, also 6-10 CHF extra that get unceremoniously stolen along the way. And that’s even rather mild - some other banks I’ve seen are as greedy as 25 CHF for a transfer to UK

2 Likes

Like @hedgehog said.
Have a look also here:
Comparing Vanguard All-World in LSE vs SIX

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! Is this still valid ? I phoned them today and were super rude on the phone telling me to stick to the IBAN given.

Stupid question but : how does it work in case you want to wire the funds back to your CH account. How high are the fees in that case ?

Haha, yeah I already experienced the super rude and stupid IB consultants. Wanted to punch that guy in the face over the phone. If I were you, I would not use an account number found on the forum (even though it’s correct). But if you use the new user interface, you will be able to see the Swiss IBAN. There even was a screenshot somewhere on the forum.

2nd question: as far as I know, IB lets you have one free transfer from the account per month. And that’s regardless of the destination country. The next one costs, but I don’t know how much. Just google for the fees, it’s not so hard.

1 Like

Many thanks. Just one question. I see that Lynx has a flat fee of 4USD for converting CHF to USD (up to 100 000USD). It uses the same interface as IB. Since most of you will follow the 4% rule, I am wondering why it is not mentioned within the forum. The cost of transaction in the US is approximately 5USD but then you would save approximately 35 USD on converting currency costs (considering 40k on 1million) or am I missing something? Also no custody fee (even below 100K)

I haven’t thought about how I will organize myself once I have a million :stuck_out_tongue: . But I’m definitely not going to make monthly withdrawals. I will probably keep at least 10% of my wealth on a bank account and when I run low on cash, I will sell some stock and withdraw it together with the accumulated dividends. So probably one-two payouts per year. And who knows if I will need CHF or PLN or EUR, or maybe even USD and then I don’t even need to convert.

1 Like

Which IB account/IBAN do you send the USD to?

Hello everyone. I actually successfully transferred USD to IB via TransferWise. You will get an error on TW when trying to fill in the Account Nr. as IB will provide an Virtual account number that includes the Account ID. Since the account ID of IB starts with a letter, TW doesn’t support letters in the account number. I contacted IB support and it turns out that you can just use the first part of the account number and use the reference text to fill in the details of your account ID for that transaction.

Only thing is that the money arrived on the next day but the deposit is on hold for 5 days before I can use it to trade. Going via TW allows me to save a few cents on small deposits. I am now trying to pay directly via Swiss bank account in CHF.

Just one question: If you sent CHF and you want to buy USD based funds do you need to convert manually the balance in your account via a Forex trade? If so how does it work?

1 Like