How much of a minimalist are you?

Well I forgot to imply that the decision comes down to a combination of the three answers. If you cook rice every day the answer to “how much use can I draw from this purchase?” will probably override the other answers.
The point of the questions is to take a step back and re-evaluate a purchase.
That said, how hard is it to cook rice? :joy:

1 Like

I‘m doing the 333 challenge. 33 articles of acessoires and clothes (excluding workout clothes and underwear) for three months. The rest is packed up and in the cellar. Who‘s in?

You might think this is not a lot but I just laid it all out and it seems like I still have loads of options.

Details:

I decided to go with 36(already cheating dammit, I‘m to lazy to wash every week) here my list:

I intend on reading these books:
https://www.amazon.com/Soulful-Simplicity-Living-Less-Lead/dp/0143130684

https://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice-More-Less-Revised-ebook/dp/B000TDGGVU

Anyone already read them?

You can easily cut those 12 shirts down and… Wash them?
And get under 33 even.
Plus I would assign the hiking shoes under “workout” and not count it, if you excluded the rest of the “active” stuff too.

I thought about this.

There‘s also a few things in there I rarely need, like my button shirts. Occasional for work, job interviews, weddings, funerals…

But these don‘t give me headaches for selection as (I think) I don‘t consider them.

So, the point is, that if “experiment” is successful, you’ll trash the stuff in the cellar in 3 moths? Or adjust the number 33, to your personal magic number?

Isn’t this number also dependent strongly on the climate where one lives? I mean in summer, I’m mainly in T-shirts & in winter there’s multiple layers.
Typical Summer outfit = 4-5 items on at one time
Typical Winter outfit >=7
“Leisure” in summer = 2 + flipflops
“Leisure” in winter >=9 + boots
(All my numbers incl. underwear)

But good that you made it with your list,even though winter. I assume summer will be easier then.
Whatsabout a hoodie and a wooly jersey and a roll-neck pullover? That’s kind of standard in my most common clothes. It seems you really always wearing a shirt?

That depends on the outcome of the experiment. I‘m pretty open on the end solution. The experiment should show how I feel about it, the advantages and disadvantages.

Sweaters are also Hoodies in my list. I don‘t use wooly or roll-necks. I don‘t even have winter boots and never had since my childhood. I don‘t tend to spend to much time outside in winter.

As a first layer yes. If it‘s cold I just use layers, but prefer not to be outside for too long.

Usually outfit for upper body

1. shirt/polo
  2. sweater or softshell
  3. softshell or winter jacket
1 Like

Sorry, my bad, I totally “didn’t see” the Sweaters in your list.

Another thing I could consider after the 3 months
a) go back to as it was before and then see how overwhelmed I‘ll be (I‘d assume so) or being less creative/energetic due to „wasting“ my time on selecting the items
b) Decide on x items to wear the next 3 months (depending of season, change of style, etc)

I have a few shirts that are from experiences I‘ve had (events, locations) so these I don‘t wear a lot but don‘t want to throw away.

Just watched the second version of the originally linked documentary and it’s soo much better. The story telling and the call for action at the end.

I can recommend it:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81074662?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

2 Likes

It’s been over a month since I started living with less than 40 items of clothes as described earlier in the thread. So far I don’t miss anything. It’s difficult to measure how/if it improved my life as I did some other improvements in other regions.

1 Like

The demographic of this forum is probably not made of people succombing to all the new fashion trends and having a massive wordrobe turnover but, in anycase, adopting a minimalist wardrobe can be a massive money and time saver.

Since a few years, I adopted the Steve Jobs approach. My essentials are all tightly fit black clothes of good quality. I rarely have to buy new clothes, I never have to spend long putting an outfit together and I personally like the neat image I project.

6 Likes