How about demographic survey?

Here is the Survey

Original Post

I think it would be interesting to see what the Swiss Mustachian community is made of, so i would propose a survey in the style of this MMM one. Of course the dataset here will be smaller but it should still be enough to make some broad deductions. This might even be a fitting topic for a @_MP blog post.

In this post i would like to collect possible questions and such. I will try to keep this post updated
Tell me if you have other ideas or think some of the questions are irrelevant.

• Male
  • Female
  • Other

Age (I just use 5 year blocks)

• <20
  • 20-25
  • 25-30
  • 30-35
  • 35-40
  • 40-45
  • 45-50
  • >50

Marital status

• Married
  • Engaged
  • Divorced
  • Not married

Children (including unborn ones)
This one is easy as it is just a number

Living Situation

• Alone
  • With Spouse
  • Partnership/Concubinage (living with romantic partner but not married)
  • Shared
  • With parents

Job (I just ripped the ones from MMM and added some) this should probably be a multi-select

• Software Engineering/Development/Programming
  • Other Engineering or High Tech Job
  • Lawyer or legal industry
  • Doctor or healthcare industry
  • Trades (carpentry, house building, plumber, etc)
  • Entrepreneur (in any field)
  • Financial Industry
  • Teacher or other role in education
  • Something in the Artsy industries
  • Some other form of Cubicle Jockey
  • Other
  • Whatever work I want to do - I’m Retired!
  • Unemployed
  • Stay-at-home spouse
  • Student (thanks nugget)

Full-time-equivalent (Can not find a good translation for that)

• 100%
  • 90%
  • 80%
  • 70%
  • 60%
  • 50%
  • 40%
  • 30%
  • 20%
  • 10%
  • Dynamic (?)

Origin (Suggestions for a better title highly welcomed, I mean the country someone grew up in)

• Switzerland
  • Germany
  • France
  • Austria
  • Italy
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • UK
  • Europe other
  • USA
  • America other
  • Australia
  • Africa
  • Asia

Canton of residence (Thanks Alex)
Obvious list of cantons.

Salary yearly, personal(not household), gross, with 13th and bonus

• <30k
  • 30-50k
  • 50-100k
  • 100-150k
  • 150-200k
  • >200k

Household income yearly, including everything, before taxes

• <30k
  • 30-50k
  • 50-100k
  • 100-150k
  • 150-200k
  • >200k

Net worth

• <10k
  • 10-50k
  • 50-100k
  • 100-200k
  • 200-500k
  • 500k-1M
  • 1-2M
  • >2M

Target retirement age

• <25
  • 25-30
  • 30-35
  • 35-40
  • 40-45
  • 45-50
  • 50-55
  • >60

Brokerage

• IB
  • CornerTrader
  • Suissquote
  • PostFinance
  • Degiro
  • Other

Bank (additional entries highly apreciated)

• PostFinance
  • Raiffeisen
  • UBS
  • Any Kantonalbank (is it ok to lump those together?)

Average monthly expenses

• <500
  • 500-1000
  • 1000-1500
  • 1500-2000
  • 2000-2500
  • 2500-3000
  • 3000-3500
  • 3500-4000
  • 4k-5k
  • 6k-7k
  • 7k-8k
  • >8k

Average savings-rate

• <10%
  • 10-20%
  • 20-30%
  • 30-40%
  • 40-50%
  • 50-60%
  • 60-70%
  • 70-80%
  • 80-90%
  • 90-100%
4 Likes

… then i hide stuff :smiley:

Thanks for the answer but this is not the survey, just the preparation for it.

I am going make the actual survey when I have the questions together, this is more for feedback on the questions themselves.

How about asking about canton of residence, current city or something like that?

Good Idea, that might also help with the meetups.

I think with origin you mean nationality.
I would change concubinage to partnership.
I think ten year buckets are enough as you will get very few responses anyway.
What about salary, net worth, target retirement year, bank(s), brokerage(s), 3rd pillar(s), and monthly expense average for last year?

I thought about nationality but place where you grow up is more relevant I think (I know a lot of people who grew up in Switzerland but are some other nationality)

I just looked up the english meaning of concubinage and it appears to be somewhat different to the german one, I like the german one because it is so specific(At least the Swiss legal definition). However I am not sure partnership is the best fit either.

The 5 year buckets are fine I think, I can always group them together later If I have too little Data.

I will add Salary and Net-worth as they are still quite broad.

The other questions seem interesting but I think they are out of scope as this is meant to be more of a “Who are the mustachians” survey. They are however a good Idea for a separate survey (there is already one for brokers).

Any more Ideas? Otherwise I will probably make the survey soon.

I think it could be cool to have an “estimated yearly/monthly expenses”, maybe in percentage or as fix number. Maybe monthly event? Like living in CH at the moment it cost me and my family 3000 chf/month (example)

So basically the average savings-rate?

yes and no. saving rate is compared to your gross income. You can spend 4k a month and having a saving rate of 50% if you get 8k a month. Problem is we should then precisely define the denominator.

I’m more interested in knowing how much mustachian in ch spend every month without counting taxes. Could be more motivational: like MMM does when he presented his budget of 24k for the entire year.

It is more tangible than a rate.

Know what, that makes more sense, I will add it and most of the things from @Revoil. This might change the point of the survey but it seems to make more sense.

I don’t know how useful that would be. Everybody has different conditions (family, kids, hobbies, etc.). Without knowing all those variables, how can you compare a family of 5 spending 4k a month with a single 20-year-old spending the same?

1 Like

of course. But if I’m the 20 year old and I think I’m frugal and I see a family of 5 that spends as much as me, then it could really be a wake up call and motivational

2 Likes

Sure, but you won’t be able to draw those conclusions from the survey unless you have all the responses of each particular user. I don’t think that knowing that 37% of mustachians on this forum spend between 2k and 4k a month would be particularly useful without a lot more data.

I would ask about salary, spending and savings rate (individual and household) to draw some conclusions.

• Additionally to Canton, city would be nice.

you are right. At this point an average saving rate could be fun to see how swiss are doing.

It might be possible to correlate the answers together but I do not know jet. I am sure the admin of the site could tho.

@grog I thought I had already added the savings rate, guess I am going to do it now.

@1000000CHF If you provide me with a suitable list of cities I will gladly add them

What are you planning to use for the survey? Some online service?

I was thinking about using the poll feature of this forum.

• herp
  • da
  • derp

0 voters