Home bias: how much CH for a broad diversified portfolio?

Welcome to the forum!

You kind of mixing together two different things: asset classes and geographic exposure of your stocks investment.

and

are stocks + maybe some other asset classes in VIAC strategy. Here you indeed has some home bias because of the construction of VIAC strategy. You can adjust it, this is your decision.

and

are cash and cash like stuff. I was analysing quite a lot this question and always came to the same conclusion: if you are Swiss resident, cash should be in CHF only. So here you are doing everything right, I would say.

Now the question is the assets allocation. What is the proportion of value in ”stocks" and “cash” positions listed above? I guess after you take everything into account, there are too little stocks.

4 Likes

Hi Pi. Thanks

Ok. Maybe I didn’t really get the concept of a home bias. So, the home bias is really about investing in stocks in your own country, not much about the swiss franc. But then I don’t really understand the concept, as the big companies in SMI and so are mostly international companies, with business all over the world. A “better” home bias would be a SMIM or SPI Mid, with companies actually making business in Switzerland, right?

About your question:
I use the predefined VIAC 100% Global strategy, that is 99% stocks, 39.2% swiss stocks.
So I guess my true home bias is only in the 3rd pillar from VIAC.
VT is 100% global stocks.

Thanks. Making it clearer, what home bias means.

Home bia serves 3 reasons that I know of:

• home country stocks usually have preferential tax treatment (it’s easier to recover the potential witholding tax). Others are way more qualified than I am on that topic but I don’t think it holds too much for Switzerland: we have fairly good tax treaties with other countries and our own home witholding tax of 35% is fairly high (we eventually get that back with our tax return but since it is stuck in prepaid taxes until then, there’s an opportunity cost to that).

• home country regulations are easier to enforce on home country companies. I’d probably have an ‘easier’ time suing NestlĂ© than Coke, for example, because it’d be easier for me to find a lawyer, I’d understand the set of laws better and if my government doesn’t enforce the laws it is meant to enforce, I can vote them out.
    While investing in big fund manager’s ETFs, that risk seems kind of mitigated/reversed: Vanguard/Blackrock/other will have an easier time making their interests hold up when facing rogue companies than I could as a very small shareholder because they have the professionals to do it and can exert more pressure on the company/local government. Of course, that means you trust your foreign fund issuer, which most here do.

• investments in home country companies fuel the country’s economy, which makes our global situation a tiny bit better, which may make local life a tiny, tiny bit better overall and somehow secure your employment a tiny, tiny bit more depending on its exposure to market and economical downturn risks.

Fixed income investments serve mainly 2 purposes that I know of:

• providing a flow of reliable income. That income is less reliable if it is subject to forex wild fluctuations, hence it should be issued in the home currency or currency hedged (being denominated in the home currency isn’t enough, if it is issued in a foreign currency, it is still subject to currency exchange rates risk).

• providing more stability to the overall portfolio by mitigating the fluctuations created by more volatile assets. It is less stable if subject to forex wild fluctuations, hence I would currency hedge it too.

I would say so, yes, though many of these companies also do a fair share of business on the international scene.

3 Likes

Thank you, Wolverine. Shed some light for me on the home bias.

Swiss stocks are generally very defensive and only worth investing during low growth/high inflation times like last year. A global portfolio (turquoise) , the S+P500 (orange) and the NASDAQ (yeallow) easily outperform the SMI long term.

The dollar as a reserve currency is slowly devaluing against the CHF but as the only global reserve currency will still be important for a very long time, so don’t worry too much about this

What’s the timeframe of your first chart? I seem to recognize the 2020 dip as well as 2018, which would mean it doesn’t include 2008 (nor the other bull and bear markets before that). Am I right?

10 years, sorry i’ll upload a new screenshot.

and another one with 20 years to include 2008

Thanks. That’s still only one 20 years period, I’d consider it more indicative of recent than long term behavior though, indeed, I wouldn’t count on Swiss stocks for outperformance.

OK this charts starts before 1997 so we have included the .com crash, you can do this yourself with most time frames over 4-5 years and it will outperform. Switzerland is considered a defensive and slow growing stock market, maybe ok for retired people that need more stability in their net worth in but not recommendable if you just start out, have a long time horizon and can stomach some volatility IMO

Long message short: Be aware of your home bias, a world index offers far better returns than a CH only focus, :wink:

My concern was more whether someone would consider a US tilt due to recent outperformance. The past may reproduce itself in the future, or it may not. The current ~60% in major global indexes would seem plenty enough for me.

Regarding home bia, I’d consider factors like taxes and investing costs (which are knowns) more than performance (future performance being unknown). I’d also not consider it as a useful way of currency hedging:

Stocks are shares of real companies, their intrinsic value is not dependent on the currency they are traded in. Their profits depend on where they make their sales and pay their employees but individual investors can’t hedge that, that’s the job of the company itself (to adequately protect their revenues from currency fluctuations in regards to their expenses).

Furthermore, a huge part of the SMI/SPI is constituted of big multinationals (Nestlé, Novartis, Roche et al.), who make their profits internationally, in varying currencies (so are not inherently tied to the value of the CHF vs other currencies).

2 Likes

Don’t agree to this one:

1. MSCI Switzerland Index
    => MSCI Switzerland Matches MSCI World. This BEFORE Taxes, After Taxes you are likely even better off.

2. six-factsheet-stat-smiexc-en.pdf (six-group.com)
    => MSCI Switzerland (Top 45 Shares) is very close to SMI Expanded (Top 50 Shares) and matches the SPI’s return

3. six-factsheet-stat-spiex-en.pdf (six-group.com)
    => SPI Extra (SPI ex. SMI) heavily beats SPI
    => As the SPI matches MSCI World (see 1 and 2); SPI Extra therefore heavily beats MSCI World

Investing in NASDAQ is survivorship bias aka Fear of Missing Out at its best. To date, the BET on NASDAQ has worked out on two ends - High Beta/Growth Shares were a good investments and the strange sector (Tech et all) you get when investing into NASDAQ.

IF you want to keep gambling, and speculating on specific sectors or High Beta Stocks - you can just as well invest into SPI Extra. Yes, you will get another sector (that has equally performed well)
 but at least you don’t jump on the bandwagon of what loads of dumb sheep currently do.

2 Likes

I don’t think the charts include dividends. Also they should be in the same currency to be comparable (not clear if it is the case or not)

5 Likes

Correct.

To make it even remotely comparable you’d have to find CHF-quoted accumulating funds of S&P500 / SMI / ACWI/VT/whatever.

Or otherwise compute absolute returns and then eliminate the effect of an ever-appreciating currency.

And when you do that you’ll be back to square one: hold high-dividend payers in pillar 3a, hold high-growth investments in pillar 3b/after-tax investments. :wink:

2 Likes

As usual it all depends on the time scale you are looking at.

But personally I don’t find tax advantage a sufficient reason to overweight Switzerland.

1 Like

I am wondering here, is there any ETF at all which covers only SPI Extra?

Maybe this one? https://products.swisscanto.com/products/product/CH0315622966

Or that one:
CSIF (CH) Equity Switzerland Small & Mid Cap FB CH0222624659 | Credit Suisse Asset Management (credit-suisse.com)

Historically, I own the CS one but if I started fresh - I would now probably directly buy the Swisscanto one. Important to note however that the CS one has a tad better performance

Two reasons to actually do it:

1. hedge against the neighbor who does it getting richer than you off his home-biased investments :wink:
  2. high risk-adjusted returns especially in times when the rest of the world doesn’t, mainly due to its index composition

I had made this point further up in Guidance needed to reach FI - #8 by preparations (please don’t interrupt threads like this, it’s bloddy annoying) - a lot of the Swiss stock market consists of the compounding trinity Novartis/Roche/Nestle, and both pharma & food companies (and tobacco, but they’re only domiciled in CH not listed here) will help you maximize portfolio growth rates over the long term.

Moving and finding a less successful neighbor might be more efficient than trying to hedge all the potential strategies they could have. You can be the most successful investor in the neighborhood if you choose carefully. :wink:

Edit: of course, but I’m sure the above comment was made in jest, the best way to win portfolio size measuring contests is not to play.

1 Like