Have you ever resigned during the probation period?

I second this advice as well. For me it has worked about 90% of the times.

1 Like

Absolutely, 100% agree :+1:

What would the ‘manager one level up’ have to say for you to confidently agree to stay with the company? If you play the probable scenarios through in your head, you probably find that most likely you’ll get some good sounding but not very tangible blah blah…

To provide you with something tangible with 1 day notice until you need to quit is nearly impossible. What I have seen once happen the other way round (employer > employee) was, that the probation period was extended. Not sure if that would be a good move in your situation, or if pushing for that really means that it is already beyond repair.

The one time I was in a similar spot I decided to put up with it and only quit once I had a new job lined up. But then I didn’t have 6 months notice and not as much cash buffer as now…

2 Likes

You have received plenty of views and repies, and I have not read up on most of them.

Sharing my experience: I regret having not resigned during my probation period at a formerly big bank in Switzerland, even after it was clear after week 2 that I would not want to work there, like, ever.

It was a big company then, 2005 or so, and I put some of my hopes on moving on to a different department, but (a) being new and (b) given the shitty department I was in (with no internal incentive to improve things) I waited with resigning after my probation period until I found a new job.

I did not resign then because I was risk afraid, becoming a father, and at the time it was the right decision.
In hindsight, considering the financials, I should have resigned, and I could have started a job with a gazillion time the opportunies, but I would not have felt comfortable at the time.
Hindsight is 20/20, deciding in the moment is hard reality.

Good luck!

4 Likes

A short-term change of line manager and the commitment to transfer me to another team.

Read recently of a person, sitting down with his direct manager to go over performance. Company doing great financially but cut down in current fiscal for yearly increase and fewer promotions. Manager explains how this person did great job but due to this conditions promotion was denied and company wide salary freeze for the year. Fine, thank you, the employee hands over his badge, laptop, shakes hand, thanks for all the effort and walks out, quitting on the spot. Starts looking for a new position.

Obviously US based due to no notice periods, but I find the idea perfect. I personally also quit first, before starting to look for a new role. With european notice periods of 1-3(+)months, its ample time if you are experienced and in demand. But you are motivated and don’t second guess once you reach that decision.

In the OPs situation I assume its not an in-demand field and you don’t have the experience yet. Regardless make an objective account of the situation. I’d consider talking 1:1 with the superior manager, if things are changing. And if not and there’s no clear message, be ready to walk out on the spot or with a very reasonable notice, professionally and doing the best to not hurt the business. Employment is always a two way street and if you aren’t treated as you expect, go search somewhere where you are, same goes for renumeration. At same time, self-reflection if it’s truly the others at fault.

1 Like

What makes you say that?

Life must be lived forwards but can only be understood backwards. :smile: :man_shrugging:

Hmmm… kind of true. But the “gut feeling” we have mentioned a few posts up is your looking into the future crystal ball. If your gut feeling tells you you better leave, you don’t have to wait X months/years to confirm it and then understand it backwards. That’s the magic of it, it sees into the future.

I know it is easier said than done, and depending on your character you would trust it less or more, but in my experience it workes like this.

I saw the other day this post on linkedin, it was not in english so I will translate it with chatgpt and post it here:

In my career, I have resigned 5 times, which is no small feat, to go home without a job or severance pay, and losing bonuses, contacts, and important positions.
Tomorrow, I will be giving a talk for the first time at [REDACTED] about the importance of knowing how to say NO in your professional career.

I have received threats to varying degrees, been called crazy, and have been presented with even crazier counteroffers… None of them understood that such a decision is irreversible because it is based on values.

Basically, I need to sleep soundly at night. And if I’m not happy with what I do, if I don’t feel proud, if it goes against my values, then I’m not happy, I don’t perform well, and I can’t sleep. And that’s not something I’m willing to compromise on, as I really enjoy sleeping. :sweat_smile:

The first time is terrifying. Fear. And it has an impact not only professionally and economically, but also personally, with family and socially. But then you realize, and it was the case in each one of these instances, that better opportunities always come along.

In fact, I am convinced that saying NO, especially when it involves negative economic impact (that’s when you see if you truly have values or if you’re inconsistent), defines us professionally more than saying yes, and it leads you to end up in the right projects.

Saying NO positions you. Saying NO defines you as a professional and as a person. And that greatly repels toxic bosses and partners because they know who they’re dealing with, and it attracts the right people.

So, even though it may be difficult, do not underestimate the power of NO.

6 Likes

Thank you. This really resonated with me.

1 Like

Time for an update.

I had made the (not so smart) decision to hang on: If an internal transfer wasn’t in the cards I could still hand in my resignation and have plenty of time to look for something new elsewhere.

Then this happened: On Tuesday my manager announced that he was going on a long-term burnout sick leave. I thought I had really made it: Without him and his distractions I could finally start to settle in and focus on my work.

On Wednesday I got a strange invitation from HR to meet in person. My bad feeling was confirmed: I was fired. And guess who remotely attended and led the meeting: My manager!

A company where burnout patients are not only allowed to make such decisions but can do so unchallenged! This is a failure of governance and leadership on more than one level and explains the somewhat toxic work environment that I found.

I’ve not been saving and investing to do this to myself. I should have followed my own IPS where “FU money” is actually first on the list! I am somewhat surprised about how relieved I feel, like I got off a sinking ship just in time. There are some lessons to be learned for me here. Now, on to new shores!

Thank you all for your answers! :heart:

17 Likes

First off, let me say that I appreciate you sharing your story. I believe others will be able to learn from it, should they ever be in a sililar situation as you are (or were).

I was in a similar situation during my PhD. My boss there was borderline sociopathic and her understanding of scientific integrity was … questionable. While I was working there, another PhD student was fired and after I left, I know of 2 more who were fired or left on their own.
In the end, I left the research group after 2 years and started all over in a new place. Even though it took me 2 years longer to get my PhD, in hindsight leaving was one of the best decisions I made.

One thing that I learned is that I trust my gut feeling more when it comes to job hunting. My intuition was telling me back then that something was not right about that position and I should have taken that feeling seriously.

That really resonated with me, I felt the same back then! New opportunities will come!

7 Likes

I have seen some shit, but that kinda tops it all. BTW I guess the decision was already taken before the first probation meeting…

1 Like

That’s another thing that is so terrible about the company: On Friday afer the first meeting I’m told I’ve passed. Two workdays later I’m told I have not. And that seems to be ok in the company, that’s how they do things?

And it’s been like that for the past three months: I was the greatest and the bestest on one day and the worst incompetent idiot on another day.

2 Likes

People can be mental health patients for all (very different) kinds of reasons - and it doesn’t necessarily have to impact their ability to make HR decisions.

Even though in your particular case it does sound that he shouldn’t be making such decisions (in a sane company).

1 Like

You are right. That was a wrong and disrespectful generalization. I should have said burnout patients and have corrected my post.

I’m sorry to hear about your dismissal, but I’m really happy for you! You didn’t have to make this decision, it just came to you! And it seems to have been the best decision.

However, I’m shocked by the lack of leadership in your company’s management (and in general in the last few experiences I’ve had). And the way it happened for you is not right. I don’t know what the current fad is, but today’s managers are sorely lacking in the balls to talk directly to their staff and confront them. I honestly think that a good discussion, no matter how heated, always leads to a solution.

Anyway, happy new start to you!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but this is all hypothetical. The cause and reason for the boss’s burn-out is up to him. I don’t think there’s any point now in looking for a ‘culprit’ or stirring the pot. It won’t do any good to @Neville. What is done is done. It’s time to close this book and move on to the next.

2 Likes

+1 for this. @Neville don’t spend too much time trying to understand what happened. It was a toxic environment, as your gut feeling warned you. Part of the toxicity of these environments is to suck up your energy having your mind occupied with all the “what if…” and “how come…”. Not worth it. Move on. Period.

Enjoy the refreshment feeling. Good opportunities await.

Cheers

5 Likes

And +1 for this.

Burnouts don’t build up in 3 months, any HR worth their salt would know that and consider that part of good management is to take measures to address the burnout situation as it appears, not at too late a time when it becomes unmanageable. Part of the manager’s work was to communicate earlier to avoid burnout and part of his manager’s/HR/their boss’ work was to address the factors leading to that burnout prior for it to happen.

That none of that happened and the burnt out manager was still required to handle the fireing of a new hire is a sign the company was dysfunctioning. Best to not linger on it and just move forward.

3 Likes