Has anyone tried the new VaudTax web interface?

Hello everyone,

Taxe deadline is coming soon in Vaud, and as I have to start doing it I was wondering if anyone has tried the “new” VaudTax web interface here.

Well, it’s not exactly new, I think it missed some sections last year but it feels like they now seem to pretend it can (and maybe will?) replace completely the usual software.
So, because I have the feeling they will want to get rid of the software anyway in the future, I figured out it would be better to get started using the web interface already. But I already have two problems…

1. So, as I have some VT etfs as suggested on the blogposts, my assumption is that I would have to fill the “fonds de placement” section. Is that correct? This is different from the section “Formule Complémentaire R-US 164 et DA-1” in the VaudTax software…

2. Well, what about the DA-1? Is it going to be filled automatically as it did with the VaudTax software?

3. In any case, would you recommend me not to use it? Are you considering using it or not at all?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I used it to fill my taxes and the DA-1 part is more or less automatic when you fill in the withholding tax.

Be careful, you have to save your progress in an external file. I assumed it would save automatically the first time I filled some stuff and then had to start all over again.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it is unfortunately not possible to import previous declaration from VaudTax app…which sucks and I guess because of that I will stick to VaudTax software as long as I can.

I’m still using their software, but I supposed that the different section are the same now ?

For IBKR, check this thread: How to disclose stocks positions to tax authorities - Taxes - Mustachian Post Community

I’ll use this “technique” this year and will see if it work (it should). It’s easier to set up your declaration if you have more than just VT as an investment product.

1 Like

Intersting… For me I also have this kind of problem with VaudTax software: I have to have all the former versions installed to be able to open old ones (or maybe I missed something, that’s another possibility)

Anyway, I think an important point with the web app also is that it generates an XML file which is always human-readable if needed in the future, while I am not sure what can be done about these .tax files from the software when it will get deprecated.

1 Like

Already made the same mistake :slight_smile: Alright, then I shouldn’t be scared about this DA-1 I guess…

Same for me. I hope that, before the web version becomes mandatory, they’ll implement an import of files saved with the app.

That’s really a game-changer if it works! Is that really a “compliant” way of filling it? (Because I mean, in that case they can’t even evaluate the 5 criteria from here: Swiss capital gains tax - Mustachian Post (aka Marc Pittet) #FIRE #frugalism )

Why wouldn’t they be able to evaluate the criteria ?

I will attached my tax report from IBKR where there is all the information they need to have to do my taxation (US withdrawal), number of shares, dividends, etc.

At least it works for Sjess :wink:

1 Like

Hypothetically, If I was using Interactive Brokers and bought 1 share of VT on 01.01.2021, may I ask what is supposed to be filled in in “Montant de l’impôt étranger en CHF” and “Montant de la retenue supplémentaire USA en CHF” ?

[EDIT]
I think I may have been wrong and have to fill in this instead:

This is only for Swiss brokers, search for “zusätzlicher Steuerrückbehalt USA” in forum.

And you need the last item from taxation types. So the first image is correct.

And it should be fonds, not actions.

Retenue supplementaire USA: Non.

Ok thanks for your inputs! so I switched to “Fonds” and not “actions” then there doesn’t seem to be this additional section “retenue supplémentaire USA”.

However, say it is filled it in the following way (assuming it is correct that interactive brokers’ “withhold taxes in chf” are filled in “montant de l’impôt étranger en chf”)

then after clicking on “calculer les impôts”, everything here seems to be set at 0. Is it expected?

Did you fill your income? It could be because you don’t get any return if your marginal tax rate below the withholding tax of 15%.

Ok so I played around here is what happens:

1. If I have less than 100chf “retenue d’impôt à la source”

Then I get

2. I I have more than 100chf “retenue d’impôt à la source”

then it seems to not be 0 everywhere:

Any reasonable explanation? Could it be that there is a minimum threshold of 100chf?

Oh yes, there is :grin::sob:

So yes, I found it is clearly written there…
“[…] lorsque les impôts étrangers non récupérables n’excèdent pas un montant dit insignifiant de 100 francs.”

Anyway, thank you very much @Dr.PI for letting me know about the correct way to fill everything :wink:

Hello @antoinexp and @Dr.PI,

I will take an opportunity to ask question in this thread as this year I am using VaudTax web portal first time. MP’s tutorial is still based on the desktop version of VaudTax. So I thought I could use this thread to clarify questions related to the above discussion.

I downloaded the report from Interactive Brokers as mentioned in the tutorial. In order to fill the Revenus soumis à l’impôt étranger en CHF/Foreign taxable income in CHF and Retenue d’impôt à la source (IIES) en CHF/Withholding tax (IIES) in CHF fields in the portal, I assume I can use numbers directly from the IBKR report as shown below:

Is that correct?

The second question is a bit of a naïve from an English speaker I guess: In the IIES - Informations complémentaires section when we add bank account information, there is a mandatory field Compte postal de la banque. In the case of a personal account, I know the bank account number and IBAN. But what is the postal account number here? :thinking:

I know the existence of postal account numbers. But I am not sure about this in the context of my personal bank account.

This is the bank account for reimbursement of US taxes. Postal account number is that of the bank, not of your account. It’s a rudiment of early 20th century payment system and I don’t think anyone is using it, IBAN has all information needed. You can find it somewhere in bank’s contact info.

BTW as your US taxes are just below 100 CHF, you can’t claim it back anyway.

1 Like

Agree. You can report the net amount, CHF 541, instead of the gross.