Future of Bitcoin

Try as I can I am not a believer in BTC as a currency nor a store of value (can people really imagine it will still be valuable in 50 years without being superseded?)

I am a believer in irrational exuberance, definitely money to be made speculating on price moves

3 Likes

Well, especially if you’re playing with a 125x leverage, it could be massively explosive :firecracker:

I don’t how a platform can give you access to this kind of leverage :sweat_smile:

What is the basis of your assertion (“nope”)? You don’t have any more evidence to show that it won’t sustain its current growth in the coming years as I have that it will, and I’m absolutely fine with it. I don’t care if it’s 200% or 50% as long as it continues to outperform any other asset class over the long term, and is insulated from the (wrong)doing of any centralized power entity.

1 Like

The “nope” was for @dbu’s “Does everyone here think that the future growth is going to be like it was in the past (or bigger)?”

To which my answer is “nope”, I’m here and I don’t think so, so not everyone here thinks that the future growth is going to be like it was in the past (or bigger). You’ll have to trust me on this assertion without proof (or not, your choice) since I’m in my head and know what I think, but I’m afraid there’s no third party able to confirm that.

It may pursue its current growth, for some time at least. It may fall to 0 tomorrow. It may continue to outperform any other asset class over the long term and be insulated from the doing of any centralized power entity, or it may be outclassed by another existing asset class in the future, or it may be outclassed by a not yet existing asset class, in the future, or it may get submited to the doings of a centralized entity in the future. I have no proof that either of these is for certain, because, in my opinion, neither of these is for certain (it’s hard to predict the future), which is my point: there’s both potential for upside and downside risk, whether one wants to ride that boat is up to each individual’s personal decision.

6 Likes

Well, the question was if everybody thinks if its performance is going to carry on in the future.

That may or may not be the case.

I don’t think markets are perfectly efficient.
Then again, markets are somewhat efficient.

If there was one financial asset that’s magically outperforming all others by orders of magnitude, everybody would flock to it and invest as much as he can. Others assets will devalue against that magical asset.

…until, at some point, theoretically, no one else will want to hold any other assets or use them.

But more practically speaking…

How do you measure (out-) “performance”? There’s some unit that you measure and asset’s “performance”, whether it’d be USD, CHF or equivalents of Big Macs.

In the end, asset is only useful if you can use them (derive utility from them) or trade them. Bitcoin isn’t in any way intrinsically valuable. It doesn’t produce anything, it doesn’t. It’s economic value is only derived from it’s fungibility, it’s ability to being traded against something else. And in the end that will need to be something of actual, real-world use. You could also say it needs to be “backed” by something tangible in the real world. And these resources are either finite - or limited by real-world growth in productivity and exploitation of natural resources.

Eventually, Bitcoin will run out of other assets or real-world things to appreciate against.

It may take a while.
Even quite a while.

But it’s going to happen eventually. 100%.

5 Likes

Also volatility matters (though probably not for people in this forum from what I see, but maybe because they haven’t experienced any proper bear market).
Most people can’t stomach +/- 40% (or more) yearly on their assets (plus it doesn’t allow you to FIRE safely, sequence of return can wipe you out fairly quickly if you get unlucky).

3 Likes

Correction, it seems it doesn’t matter for the crypto fans.

As you said, most of them probably never faced a bear market. For most of them every large drop is just the stepping stone to the next peak, as you know it can only go up…

Dear all,
anyone familiar with or using Nexo.io ? I’m trying to understand their business model, and the advantages the service proposes.
Thank you!

1 Like

Don´t understand nor share the discussion about BTC being valuable in 50 years. Actually also I do not care at all. I see Crypto as a hot investment vehicle that is booming and in a bull phase.

Everybody “beliefs” in this without questions.

And here is the loss of the USD purchasing power in the past 100 years.

BTC overtook Tesla in the market capitalization ranking. So whatever Crypto is or will be, it is already really big - probably too big to fail globally.

1 Like

Some people claim BTC is a store of value similar to gold. If you don’t care about that and are just trying to ride the price upwards in a “hot” phase that is a different assumption

Not sure what your point is with the chart?That USD depreciates due to inflation is known, it doesn’t mean that it’s a problem so long as the rate stays reasonably low and is predictable

No, but we do have a Celsius account and think it’s absolutely amazing. Rates are mostly better than Nexo as far as I know. If governments don’t end up shutting it down, it’s going to eat the banking system for lunch. Our money is finally earning something instead of sitting in a bank account. And they are VERY transparent about how much money they make, the only difference to a regular bank is they give 80% back to the customer. CEO is Alex Mashinsky, who essentially invented VOIP and a bunch of other things.

+1. Those claims all look so scammy. I can’t figure it out.

Same with some of the stacking scheme like Cardano that is supposed to reward you without you taking any risk. If anybody has interesesting ressource on such subject I’m all ears.

Because the general practice in crypto land is full collaterization + auto-liquidation by the house. Which mitigate the systemic risk aspect that these gamblers create.

6.2% inflation in the US in October, a +0.9% increase vs September which was already +0.4% (so more than double). If you are into fire this is a disaster in the making.

Good luck everyone, I am sure the skeptics will soon learn about sound money, aka bitcoin. Game theory is at full speed now.

Fire using crypto staking rewards, liquidity mining and crypto loans could make more sense :grinning:

1 Like

It all makes sense to me, yes, but I believe the starter of a good FIRE strategy is to have part of your savings in Bitcoin.

2 Likes

Or for every allocation strategy in general, yes.

70k is imminent, thanks to inflation?

Considering the on-chain data analysis (funding up, supply down), I would not be surprised to see a +10k daily candle before the end of the month. We were at $69k already on Coinbase an hour ago.

Yes, I do agree. Probably first a pull-back to late 50k and then it run quickly higher.
One BTC runs… it runs hard. See below past examples per month.
May 2019 +62%
Aug 2017 +66%
May 2017 +66%
Nov 2013 +451%
Oct 2013 +61%
Mar 2013 +181%
Feb 2013 +63% etc

Why? This would impact people keeping their wealth in cash, which is not what the FIRE movement advocates

2 Likes