Fundsmith Equity Fund

Notary public to get my passport certified. Evidence of address is straightforward by providing utility bill, bank statement / letter from bank, mortgage statement or lease agreement. Everything should be in English though.

There should indeed be a web interface, but I didn’t manage to look into (registering for) it yet.

With this I444363269 number I could also find it in IB but the chart is quite weird showing 5 only and a few dots. I don’t really get it.

I second @TrickMcDave 's comment.
On IB, Buy some GBP and then buy SSON on LSE. Easypeasy.
Cost = 6 GBP (it wasn’t a 5 figure BUY transaction)

Is the 4.95 GBP on the tiered-IB? I know it’s only a quid, but just curious about the difference.

Interested, however I dislike to click “Buy” based on such strange product charts :grimacing:

I checked and SSON is also available on DEGIRO but the fees would be higher. After my calculations buying 10k SSON would cost 9 EUR in fees. Here stamp duty is not included. What about stamp duty at IB, is it included in the fees?

Same here… but I guess that’s where the more risk → more volatility → maybe higher returns, kicks in :wink:

Considering the (active) investment funds/trusts - has anyone taken a look past Fundsmith, e.g. Baillie Gifford’s products?
Internets are also considering them a high performer.

If you are referring to the historical price chart these are often weird for open ended mutual funds on other platforms too e.g. Yahoo finance. Contact IB if unsure?

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. So the T fund would it be that one on Yahoo Finance:

Hello @mabi ,
at IB USD 2 fee for buying GBP.USD.
Then 6 GBP IB-fee for buying SSON @ LSE plus 0.5% stamp tax.
i.e. once u have the pounds, for buying SSON for approx £5000 it’s £6 + about £24 = £30.

1 Like

Yes. To be sure you are looking at the right instrument you can copy and paste the ISIN code from Fundsmith webpage into search in Yahoo Finance or Interactive Brokers

Thanks for your detailed example, I guess I owe you a DEGIRO detailed example :wink: I’ll take here CHF 6000 to approximately match your £5000.

Forex GBP.CHF with AutoFX (0.1%): CHF 6
Buy SSON shares @ LSE (EUR 4 + 0.05%): EUR 7
UK stamp duty (0.5%): CHF 30

In total that would be around CHF 43 so IB wins again with lower fees…

I wonder on IB as I send my money in CHF there, can I directly convert my CHF into GBP? or do I need to pass from CHF to USD and then to GBP? Because in your example you mention GBP.USD.

I tried pasting I444363269 into Yahoo Finance guessing this is the ISIN number but nothing comes up, so actually I found the Fundsmith Equity Fund by searching for Fundsmith as keyword.

GB00B4Q5X527 Is an ISIN number that you can find on Fundsmith web page ->factsheet. I guess that I444* number might be an Identification code unique to IB
You can exchange from CHF to GBP in IB

A while ago - and again just a couple of weeks ago.
I particularly like The Monks Investment Trust.

Has been on my shortlist of active funds for a couple of weeks.

(A list that has become short and shorter: FEET, SSON, some Lindsell Train fund that I seemingly can’t buy anywhere, Aberdeen New India and The Monks. Oh, and maybe some Biotech fund that I can’t remember off the top of my head).

I have been invested in FEET for quite a while - which has finally turned green only recently. Terry Smith doesn’t seem to like China very much, but prefers India, as reflected in FEET (and his speeches).

Ah yes so obvious the ISIN number always starts with a country code. So now I will need to check in terms of fees what is the cheaper option: a) open an account with Fundsmith and invest directly through them or option b) buy through IB.

The latter option definitely is easier and faster but option a) might be cheaper in terms of fees as there are no buying fees as far as I know. The only question remains is that how or where do I convert my CHF to GBP in order to send them to the GBP account of Fundsmith in the UK…?

Might not be the most economic option, but would they accept a Transferwise-like transaction?
Or they need to also receive cash in an envelope (like the paperwork by fax)? :grin:

1 Like

Hehe, I like your sarcasm about their old fashion paperwork by snail mail or fax, reminds me of our Bundein Bern with their faxes :wink:

I would have gone for Revolut but their free exchange fees are only up to an amount of £1000. After that it gets much more expensive… I guess I will have to ask them about Transferwise or what is best.

Type in google “interactive brokers exchange currency”.
I am sure there are also posts elsewhere on this forum about changing currency in IB.

Yes, I thought about exchanging my CHF to GBP at IB but then what I am not sure about is how do I transfer that exchanged GBP to the Fundsmith bank account in London? Can I instruct IB to transfer money to any bank account?

As far as I know IB can only transfer money to a bank account which is registered under your name but maybe I am wrong.

In the past I had to transfer GBP from IB to a UK bank and then from UK bank to Fundsmith. I could not go directly from IB to Fundsmith

Probably not because of some KYC issue.
Saw something about it as far as I remember. It has to be some bank account in your name.