Fundsmith Equity Fund

You can do investments online and pay by debit card.

No more difficult than ordering a pizza or paying for your Netflix subscription, really.
(Provided that you’ve already opened up the account and registered user credentials)

Oh that’s fantastic, last time I asked them over the phone they said that was not possible for foreign bank accounts. Which debit card do you use and from which bank?

Well, you (supposedly) do have a UK account that can direct debits. Revolut allows you to do this. The only reason I can think of why that may not work is Fundsmith refusing to accept it, due to Revolut being - technically still - a non-bank payment account? Have you tried?

TransferWise - you must have read that already :wink:

Though I can now report to have made a couple subsequent investments through the same card. All in all for a five-digit sum - everything without a hitch (whereas some other banks, I suspect they would’ve blocked the card and called me. Even though it should not be too risky a transaction).

I suppose that your Revolut card is going to work just as well. At least if it’s a non-Prepaid debit card (read carefully!). Not sure about the prepaid cards. debit card. I’ve heard that Revolut has not only issued prepaid but also debit cards lately.

Right, I start to understand now. I did not realize until you mention now that I could also have a GBP account with Revolut. Just checked now and indeed I can click Add account and chose GBP. So the plan would be to transfer CHF to my Revolut CHF account then exchange it with Revolut to GBP adding it to my GBP account and then setting up direct debit at Fundsmith. I guess I will give it a try as I don’t need to call them anymore if that works. Just need to remember to provision my GBP account on Revolut from time to time. I assume here that adding a GBP account to Revolut is free hopefully. I’ll post here my success (or failure) doing that as soon as I get a moment.

I did not go for the TransferWise way as I do not want an additional bank/card/app/etc

1 Like

Interesting update on Fundsmith with this article on Bloomberg.

Extract:

For 2022, Smith predicts that we may have “all the ingredients for inflation to take hold.” However, the companies in his fund — such as L’Oreal SA — will be better able to weather inflation because of their higher gross margins, he said.

The top five contributors to the Fundsmith Equity fund in 2021 were Microsoft Corp., Intuit Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, Estée Lauder Cos Inc. and IDEXX Laboratories Inc. The bottom five were PayPal Holdings Inc., Amadeus IT Group SA, Kone AG, Unilever Plc and Brown-Forman Corp.

2 Likes

For those interested in more detail, here is the letter sent to all shareholders this week:

Enjoy :smiley:

5 Likes

Looking forward to watch the annual shareholders meeting video :wink:

1 Like

Why just watch the video - when you can attend in person? :man_shrugging:

I also thought about joining the shareholder’s meeting. Did anyone receive information about it? I hold my shares in IBKR so may not get the communication

You’re totally right, if I would be in London I would totally join. I am sure they have a nice apero afterwards :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Off topic but @mabi’s comment made me grin: Tip for students: for the price of one share of any big swiss company+custody fees+some transportation cost, you get to have a buffet with enough leftovers for a few additional meals at their GA, once a year. You can then sell the share after graduation. :grin:

5 Likes

Since the topic was raised in another thread: here are the performance tables vs. benchmark for Fundsmith and SSON in GBP from the respective factsheets, as well as my calculation of annualised return since inception in CHF (FX rates from OANDA). Annualised return is ~2 to 2.5 % per year lower in CHF

FUNDSMITH IN GBP

Converted to CHF:

SMITHSON IN GBP

Converted to CHF

7 Likes

I got sent this article on alternatives to Fundsmith that might be helpful.

My main issue is that none of the funds describe their strategy anywhere near as clearly as Fundsmith. It is difficult to tell if their out performance is just due to luck

1 Like

Guardcap Global Equity could be a similar vehicle to Fundsmith, similar strategy and porfolio construction

We believe that:

• Long-term sustained growth drives returns
  • Quality protects against downside
  • Valuation matters

Our investment strategies exploit a pervasive, ongoing anomaly in the way equity markets work: that markets focus primarily on the short-term future. They sometimes do not attribute sufficient value to the longer-term future earnings and cash flows of sustainably growing companies. Our investment strategies emphasise long-term thinking, long-term forecasting and long holding periods in order to exploit this.

This philosophy is applied through a fundamental, company selection-based process designed to create concentrated portfolios of companies, each having significantly better quality and growth characteristics than the market average, and each being undervalued in relation to its long-term future earnings and cash flows at the time of purchase.

3 Likes

Did receive an invitation email on the 20th.

England has decided to do away with any testing or quarantine requirements. I’m tempted (though it’s on a weekday).

1 Like

Alright, I nibbled into a bit of their T class via IBKR.
Is the order usually carried out at the end of the day, or how does it work with mutual funds?

Edit: I read on Investopedia - after market close. :+1:

1 Like

Can you please share the ticker for it? I bought some SSON this morning, but that’s different from the T class. I saw GB00B4Q5X527 in one of the screenshots at the beginning of the thread, but not sure if this is the right one.

Pricing and dealing is once per day at noon uk time. If you place the order in IBKR before ~11 am CET you should be sure to get today’s price

1 Like

See post above for how to buy in IBKR

1 Like

This is interesting, you can trade it without having an account with them ? I should make some research and thought about this opportunity.