Finding an apartment - Tips and Tricks - Help Us Out

Hi everyone,

I will be starting a new role in Schaffhausen the beginning of Jan, it’s a 9 month fixed contract with the possibility to extend.
I have found myself a serviced apartment, looks like it’s about twice the market rate for the area: 2500 for a 1 bedroom.
Any idea how the real estate market is in Schaffhausen? Will my 9 month fixed contract prevent me to get a long term apartment?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you,

Regards,

hey vlad,
the best way to get an overview in my opinion is https://www.immomapper.ch/
pick your area of interest, and play with the min/max price and size (#rooms or sqm)
within 15 minutes you should have an idea on what the market is.

if it is fixed then you are bound to it until it expires or you find someone else who is willing to tak over your contract.
apart from that it’s only you financial sanity that might prevent you to have a second place in parallel. landlords want to see that your rent is max. 1/3rd of your income. they won’t / can’t check if you rent two places :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice, was not aware of that site. Thanks!

You will not normally have to submit a copy of your employment contract, so the employment term is not necessarily relevant. You simply need to state that you are employed and your monthly income (this can include supplementary income sources in addition to your salary). Obviously you also have to obtain a statement from your municipal debt collection office showing that there are no debt claims against you. Copies of your residence permit and (healthy) bank statements are generally a bonus, if you are willing to share these.

Schaffhausen is not a high-demand area. In fact, municipalities there have been working hard to market themselves in order to attract new residents. You shouldn’t have much competition for good, affordable housing.

Great, thank you all for the info!

Regards,
Vlad