Finding a property to live in

I’m too tired to watch that video, but I wonder if someone had more tweakable amounts.
Like what if I invest only 60% in stocks and 40% in something else? Is still 60k/y the rent I should use to calculate?

I think financially speaking, there’s nothing you miss. As Cortana correctly added opportunity costs are big, considering you need to put down 20% (although if you take them out of a pension fund through WEF they may be less high). Gains would realistically come from house price appreciation, not rental income. Those gains, especially in real terms, are definitely not guaranteed.

That being said we bought a small, old (think 70s), 3 room apartment that needed a lot of TLC in 2019. We did it partly due to emotional reasons, i.e. owning a tiny little piece of Switzerland (we’re both foreigners from loving but not well off families).

The other part was asset allocation. This of course only works if you don’t sink most of your funds into the apartment, or start to seriously invest elsewhere right after buying and digging yourself out of the concentration risk. For us it was at a price point we felt comfortable with, well within what banks would finance us up to and we have no issues going to rent a “fancier” place should we ever want to and renting out this one (or of course selling). Also it followed the logic of “buy utility rent luxury” which I quite like.

PS: First post ever in Mustachianpost, hi all :blush:

16 Likes

these studies have not yet looked at anything in Switzerland, I guess?
I’ve seen the video, and again, I’m skeptical about ownership mostly because I ran the numbers and the conclusion is negative about owning. But deep within I still want an own place (that only the bank and I own).

I understand. I would also love to have my own place and do with it whatever I want. But the financial aspects are making me unsure.

4 Likes

Could you share a link to the CS report you’re talking about ?

Thanks!

Last time I read about that stuff must have been 5y ago.

These are more recent data:

4 Likes