Feedback on using 4G / 5G routers instead of copper wire

Thanks a lot for this tip. Would you happen to have experience if this is as easy as buying an ethernet adapter for an iphone and connecting it to the router ?

I tried to research it online but it seems unclear it if works for iPhone.

Phone hotspot works, but it would certainly be more convenient to have a proper router (often it is necessary to turn the hotspot off and on to make it connect etc.)

I don’t have an iPhone but ethernet adapter worked fine on my android phone - admittedly, I only tested that in client mode. Not sure how easy it is to transparently bridge, but worse case you put an RPI to bridge the phone and router if you cant’t do it with the software installed on the phone.

Though it is probably easier to use a dedicated 5G router with a SIM card slot if you don’t care about the legal technicalities or don’t already have a spare phone/router you can re-purpose.

1 Like

@Barto Thank you. I was particularly interested in using the extra SIM from Quicklime in a portable router. I am using this currently set up with Sunrise currently and it works with rare disturbances. However the comment that “It is not permitted to use the Quickline Extra SIM in a router, gateway or WiFi hotspot.” got me worried.

My experience with 4G was that the ping sucks (important if you play online games) and in the evening the speed also drops a lot.

Same with me. Works fine for everything except: webcalls & gaming + noticeable speedreduction in the evening

I don’t pay for cable internet / optics.

I have Swisscom Natel Go Europe for corporate customers.

With a 5G router (ZTE) I’m getting 500+ Mbps, unlimited data.

I have 3 SIMs for the same phone number. One SIM in my phone, one SIM at the router and one SIM for my gf. Whole EU + Switzerland covered.

Total monthly cost: 48 CHF.

I recommend to avoid Salt / Sunrise network if you want a high-speed 5G.

Just another experience here: I have a Galaxus Unlimited plan for 19CHF + a second SIM for 5CHF which goes in my 4G router. I get at least 80Mbit without hiccups and use it for video conferencing etc. Two things are important:

• Have a radio tower nearby, you can use this map to check: map.geo.admin.ch
  • Use a good router. We had a cheap one before getting a good one and got only 20Mbit with that. Now I bought a used Huawei B818-260 on Tutti for 80CHF and am very happy
5 Likes

Switching from Sunrise to Quickline I discovered that my old Sunrise contract allows me to keep using the extra SIM data card I had negotiated for free for life despite having no other services with Sunrise. They will invoice me zero cost every month.

So now I have two years free mobile with Quickline and free data for life through my 4G dongle.

Thank you Moustachians for the tip about the Black Friday offer with Quickline and to @sedot for the tip about upgrading my dongle to a more sophisticated router.

5 Likes